Bio-Medical engineering

I’m at the middle of my junior year right now, and I am starting to think about colleges. I want to be either a trauma or neurosurgeon. But the way I want to do this is the get an undergrad degree in bio-medical engineering, then go to med school. I was wondering if there is any advice anyone can give me about grades, classes to take, and good schools to go to for this. I have already looked at Vanderbilt and Northwestern. Thanks!

if u want a Bio-Med degree try the Milwaukee school of engineering…they have excellent programs up there…but it costs 25,000 a year…they give u money for getting in depending on ur SAT ACT and transcripts…it could be up to like 18,000 a year if ur 1st in ur class…check it out www.msoe.edu

Yeah, well, that $25,000 is sounding pretty good right now. NW and Vanderbilt are both around $36,000, and they don’t give academic based scholarships, so I am in trouble there.

she is smart and like 1st or second in her class, so i’m sure she can get some academic scolorships

MSOE usually gives out a ton of money to people who get in…some guy that i know there had most of his college paid for because he got good grades.

What’s so special about this Milwakee school DJ…it’s the only college you seem to ever talk about??

:confused:

Georgia Tech has a Biomedical Engineering program with Emory University. They have a pre-med option also. Tech is a great university with a lot going for it and it is not too expensive being about $19000 a year. If you wnat to get more info, here is the site for it http://www.bme.gatech.edu/academics/bs.html. If you have any questions about GT I would be happy to answer them for you.

MSOE is a really good school

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
**MSOE is a really good school **

what is MSOE?

*Originally posted by David Kelly *
**what is MSOE? **

Milwaukee School of Engineering

My boss went there. He is always talking about it… so I guess he liked it :smiley:

Have you thought about UC San Diego? Its ranked second in the nation in biomed by USNEWS and its relatively cheap (15k for out-of-state students). You also can’t beat the weather :slight_smile:

When you asked about classes and grades, did you mean for highschool, or to get into med school?

For high school, you should get as good of grades as possible and take as much biology and math as possible.

For undergrad, you should get as good of grades as possible and complete the program. You should also get to know a few professors well, so that when it is time to get into med school, you have a few people who can write really good recommendations.

I would not be concerned with whether the college gives out academic scholarships or not. The way that college financial aid is set up, it doesn’t really matter. After you fill out the FAFSA, the student-aid commision decides how much of your college expenses you and your parents are able to pay. When you subtract that amount from cost of the college, you get you “Need”. Most colleges will attempt to give you enough money to cover this need, but not much more using a combination of academic scholarships, need-based grants and loans. At RIT, I have a academic scholarship for several thousand. I also have a need-based grant that makes up the difference between my academic scholarship and my need. If a college does not give out academic scholarships, they will still try to meet your need, it will just be with more need-based grants. There are only a few colleges in the country that don’t care about the amount of academic scholarships that you have recieved when figuring out how much of a need-based grant to give. USC (University of Southern California) is one of them, but there are others.

To make it even worse, you are required to report the outside academic scholarships that you have received. For example, if you are a National Merit Finalist and get that scholarship, the college has the option of reducing your need-based aid by that amount.

Hope all of that helps :slight_smile:

I was going to be a biomedical engineer at first. I was also going to go to Boston University as a biomedical engineering student. And, I was going to be premed as well. :slight_smile: Boston University is pretty expensive though. In high school look at biology classes and especially chemistry classes. Remember, most of the people who drop out of med school don’t drop out because of biology being too hard, but usually because of the chemistry involved, especially organic chemistry. Well, that’s all I can offer. :slight_smile:

~Christina

UC san diego isn’t sounding bad… only thing is the priximity from Indy. I went to Rose Hulman this weekend and was very impressed with that, but they currently only have it as a minor. As far as the need-based stuff goes, mine’s not going to be a whole lot, hence my need for academic scholarships.

Hey, I’m an ESM (Engineering Science and Mechanics) major at Virginia Tech, with a concentration in biomechanics. How on earth do you midwesterners pay for college? VT is about 8000 $ instate, probably around 15000 $ out of state. Anyways, Virginia Tech is in the process of building a new college of biomedical engineering as a joint Venture with Wake Forest University (we have a school of engineering, they don’t, they have a med school, we don’t) I’m not sure exactly if or when undergrad degrees will be offered from the newly formed college, but I know Graduate degrees will be offered. You can read all about it here
http://www.technews.vt.edu/Archives/2001/Oct/01405.html
we do have the biomechanics concentration for undergrads majoring in ESM, and many of us go to med school. Though to throw in my two cents. My sister went to emory med school in atlanta and really liked it there, and I know a few ramblin wrecks from Georgia Tech, nice town, great engineering school, good football team, very much like Virginia Tech, just in the heart of atlanta as opposed to the appalachian mountains. I’ve heard good things about UC San Diego also, one student from our VT robotics team went there and is having a good time, though I don’t know how much he is paying. I hope this helps some.
~Scott

VT is a good school. All of the VA schools are expensive if you have to pay out of state tuition. I would suggest just about any school in North Carolina. Most all of them have good med programs and I’m sure they would include the major you are looking for. UNC, Wake Forrest, and Duke, just to name a few, are all really good schools. I also think you may want to check into the University of Kentucky. I was recently there in their hospital and it looked good to me. I hope this helps and isnt too boring or useless.

*Originally posted by Scott England *
**Hey, I’m an ESM (Engineering Science and Mechanics) major at Virginia Tech, with a concentration in biomechanics.
~Scott **

I’m an ESG (Engineering Science) major, and the reason I entered this major in the beginning is because we offered a concentration in biomedical engineering (I’m now thinking of a concentration in mechanical engineering). We just opened a new major called bioengineering as well. And I go to SUNY Stony Brook. Since I commute and it’s a state school, it’s only about $4500 a year.

~Christina

Hey, CT. Wasn’t Daniel Chow majoring in this? I know she is enrolled at MIT…but I think she would be a great person to contact not only about possible universities, but also about the major itself.

Good luck!

lr

P.S. Go Colts! (#18)

Biomedical Engineering is an excellent choice. I attend Johns Hopkins University, which is currently ranked #1 BME in the country. I am the freshman representative for BME society here and can say that, although the program here will basically set your scehdule for the next four years, it is worth the investment in time and in money. The opportunities for research are open to everyone, as a freshman I am currently scheduled for an interview in a lab that works on tissue engineering, an example application would be an artificial lab-grown pancreas. You can participate in research here at the Johns Hopkins campus, or at the Johns Hopkins Medical school. The BME advisors are amazing and the director, Dr. Shoukas, has been around nearly forever in the field of BME. He is currently working on starting a BME program at MIT. Post-graduation job opportunities are basically endless for BME majors here. As for pre-meds…BME is the hardest way to get into medical school, but for those BME majors who do apply to medical school, around 90% are admitted. If you want to do BME and also pre-med, you can’t beat Johns Hopkins University. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at dmcgovern@jhu.edu and I’ll be happy to answer them.

David McGovern

In response to the Johns Hopkins possibility, I was actually considering the thought of going there for med school once I am done with undergrad work. I’ve also been looking at Vanderbilt because of their center for BME studies. But its just the whole money thing that’s in the way. What types of scores (sat, act, etc.) do I need to get? I haven’t gotten mine back yet, but from the people I know that are attending prestigious colleges, I’m looking at nothing less than a 1300, if that low. Also, financial aid, what can I do to get more money? I’m just starting the whole process now. Thanks.

JHU Average SAT score: 1420
Average ACT: 30

To get more money, try asking your guidance counselor about specific scholarships that you have to be nominated for, for schools you would seriously consider attending once accepted.

Good luck.