[Blog] How to Your Team can Thrive at Competition

Hello! Competitions are arriving very quickly. In my latest post, I offer tips on how to have a great experience at competition. https://blog.alexbeaver.com/a-guide-to-surviving-competition/. I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any ideas for more posts!

2 Likes

Always love to see new resources. A few suggestions for this post:

• For FRC events, there is an equivalent website of the VEX page you linked: frc-events.firstinspires.org. You can access an event’s page at frc.link/e/event-id/year. Also, The Blue Alliance (thebluealliance.com) has lots of data about events in a convenient format.
  • The post sounds like it is designed to help individual survive competition or cope with the stresses. However, the post is not that - it’s how to achieve technical success. I’d suggest modifying your title/intro or the content of the post so that they’re in harmony.
  • The claim “Finding match schedules is annoying with FRC on the Blue Alliance and even worse with RobotEvents” hurts. Could you elaborate on this? If you genuinely think that accessing match schedules for your purposes on The Blue Alliance is difficult, I’d love to know how we can make it better.

I have some other thoughts, but I’ll leave it at this for now.

5 Likes

To second what @jaredhk said, your statement “Finding match schedules is annoying with FRC on the Blue Alliance" is misleading and harmful to your credibility. Having been a user of Blue Alliance android app for the last 3 years, I highly suggest you looking into their myTBA feature. When enabled, it allows users to favorite their team to easily access them for future reference. Also, Blue alliance an send push notifications of upcoming matches, match outcomes, alliance selections, awards posted, and match video releases. I not only use it for my team by also all Indiana teams that go to worlds. These way, I can enjoy the world class event and keep up with all my amigos. That’s not just surviving, that’s thriving!
For uneducated readers, your statement is misleading, as it doesn’t even explain what Blue alliance is. It just leaves a bad impression of TBA. For educated readers, it makes you sound as if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
If it seems like I’m being harsh and critical, well… I am. You’ve written some wonderful articles in the past, so I have a high standard for your work. Keep on writing, I always enjoy reading it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. I have modified the post to be more precise in my viewpoint.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.