Blue alliance and 000webhost

Hello everyone!

I’m trying to take my team’s pit displays up a notch this year and make them web-based (where possible), and I would like to integrate Blue Alliance stats on the display. Currently, the site is setup to display a clock, a youtube stream (or other video embed depending on the competition).

The stats in particular, would possibly be something like a match schedule with the teams playing (that is updated every few minutes to be as accurate as possible with the field lateness/earliness with the schedule), and possibly predictions on the match.

I don’t have much of a clue of how to use the API (I’ve never worked with one at all before), and while the documentation is comprehensive, I don’t know what I’m doing with it. I have signed up for a developer account at least.

If my team is unable to have internet access, then I will set our displays to run a sponsor video slideshow and some other things. Both displays (Acer 1080p monitors) are powered by their own Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t count on Internet access at all events.

I understand, we will have a video slideshow as a fallback. Last year, we just ran the video slideshow.

Your best bet for Internet Access at Competition would be 3g/4g USB Dongles (Not hotspots as you shouldn’t be running your own 2.4Ghz Wifi), and getting cheap 3g/4g service, such as Tracfone or similar pre-pay/pay-as-you-go service and use it only for those 2-3 days.

I don’t know what dongles would be compatible with the RPi or what carriers, but I’m sure others on the Internet have done the research on the matter.

At that point you’d just be worried about minimizing your data usage.

Just got home from the Shepherd, Michigan event where there wasn’t internet.

Plan A is using the internet.

I didn’t have time to get my plan B setup working and tested for Shepherd but I use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Nginx for the server with PHP along with SQLite. Using an Android phone I pull down the data and update the SQLite database.

It needs some more testing but I should have it or something better soon. PM me for more details.

~
David Kittell
https://kittell.net
Using Tapatalk