Bombsquad? 20fps??? Whaaaazzzzaaaa?????

Posted by Michael.

Student on team #188, The Blizzard, from Woburn Collegiate Institute and Ontario Power Generation.

Posted on 3/18/2000 3:33 PM MST

Hey!..I’ve been hearing that Baxter Bombsquad, team 16 I do believe, can get to the other side it 2.5 seconds!!! as well as get to the opponents ball in 3.0 seconds! Is this true??? If it is…is this theoretically in an ideal situation? Or can your drivers actually bring your bot’ from start to the other side, 42 feet in 2.5 s??? Or, as my trusty calculator is telling me, an AVERAGE velocity of 16.8 fps… Does Bombsquad have a transmission? How’s it work??? With that maaaaaasive power, what did they do to their wheel-chair wheels to grip the ground??? Or am I just purely wrong…? Thanks…

Mike

Posted by Greg Mills.

Engineer on team #16, Baxter Bomb Squad, from Mountain Home and Baxter Healthcare.

Posted on 3/19/2000 7:15 AM MST

In Reply to: Bombsquad? 20fps??? Whaaaazzzzaaaa??? posted by Michael on 3/18/2000 3:33 PM MST:

How about a little over 8fps - about half of what you had heard. We have drill motors driving a wheel on each side and a van door motor driving a set of duallies on a steerable ‘turret’ wheel in the center on the rear of the machine. Fast and very good handling but no where near 20fps.

Posted by Jason Panila.

Student on team #102, Dexterious Gearheads, from Somerville High School, Somerville, New Jersey.

Posted on 3/19/2000 5:56 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Bombsquad? 20fps??? Whaaaazzzzaaaa??? posted by Greg Mills on 3/19/2000 7:15 AM MST:

8 fps may seem significantly slower, but let me assure you it’s not. Our robot has the same as that, and all 5 ft 130 pounds of it gets air crossing the ramp. Our robot can pick up 11 balls off the ground still faster than any other robot I’ve seen. Manuevering is not a problem either. We found we can still hang effectively, and maneuver backwards to steal a ball with our arm. Our drive system still has enough power to push back many slower machines. Any faster, we’d topple; 8 fps seems ideal.

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/19/2000 8:15 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Bombsquad? 20fps??? Whaaaazzzzaaaa??? posted by Jason Panila on 3/19/2000 5:56 PM MST:

It’s official, CD V — 47MPH :wink:

Joe J.

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 3/21/2000 8:35 AM MST

In Reply to: 47 MPH robot !!! posted by Joe Johnson on 3/19/2000 8:15 PM MST:

Pretty good, but how much does it slow down when you add the cowling and bumpers? It is a lot easier to build a high speed machine when it is striped down.

Bill B

Posted by Jason Panila.

Student on team #102, Dexterious Gearheads, from Somerville High School, Somerville, New Jersey.

Posted on 3/21/2000 5:54 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: 47 MPH robot !!! posted by Bill Beatty on 3/21/2000 8:35 AM MST:

this is the team 102 driver. I don’t know where ths 47 mph stuff is coming from. Our robot moves about 8 feet per second according to what I was told. That’s about 6 mph, which seems too slow, especially seeing how we are 130 lb dead even and get air crossing the ramp. However, I am certain that we are faster than Delphi, I was told we were the fastest in the Rutger’s competition. Well, I don’t know about fastest, but I know we are faster than delphi, because we can beat them to a ball on the far side, even when we have to take the ramp. Race anyone!?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 3/21/2000 6:49 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: 47 MPH robot !!! posted by Jason Panila on 3/21/2000 5:54 PM MST:

The 47 MPH robot title was an attempt at some light hearted humor by some folks on our team that had way too much time on their hands!

See the photo below.

Joe J.

P.S. I readily conceed that Chief Delphi 5 is by no means the fastest robot on the field – didn’t want to be, not sure we could have been even if we wanted to. Cheers to fast robots everywhere :wink: