Bosch motors

How many people are usiing a conveyorbelt for a harvester? Those that are, what motor are you using to power it. I was considering the window motors for ours.

we are using the bosch motor to make our conveyor belt catch balls…

i dont know whether the window motor will be a viable option because there is a big thing about the worm gear inside the window motor is plastic and would strip…

There are plastic gears inside the following motors:
Bosch Power Sliding Door Motor
Denso Window Motor
Fisher Price motors w/off the shelf transmission

In the right application, the plastic will cause you no problems whatever. In the wrong application, the plastic will break.

The above two statements are also true if you replace the word “plastic” with the word “metal”

More to the point of the thread, I like the idea of using the Bosch motor to drive a conveyor. One thing I love about the Bosch motor (in addition to the relatively high power rating and the relatively slow speed and high torque) is that you can use a standard 11mm trantorque (from McMaster: part number 2298K7).

In order to drive something (a gear, a pulley, or whatever) is a 22.5mm hole (preferrably in metal not plastic or wood).

For me, it is the easiest way to get the torque out of the Bosch motor.

Joe J.

So I would screw this bushing thing onto the output shaft and I will be able to attach a roller to it to drive the conveyor belt?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, absolutely. All you need is something with a 22.5mm hole that can stand the “hoop stress” required. I recommend metal. If you are driving plastic, press in a tube with the right ID to take the hoop stress that the Trantorque puts on the driven part. If you use a plastic part, the plastic tends to creep and let the Trantorque slip.

Joe J.

So its an expanding ring inside the “ring” of the end of a roller and uses the outward pressure to hold into the roller tightly and move it?

cool

thanks for the help

They look like this:

http://www.turn-act.com/images/products_smallicon_acc_tantorque_hi.gif

http://www.gaessa.com/img/fotos/TTQ1.jpg

http://www.wyko.co.uk/bushes/images/trantorque_GT.jpg

As you can see by tightening the nut, you push the inside collar in and the outide collar out. If the outside collar can’t go anywhere, then it pushes back on the inside collar. Friction then holds the inside collar to the shaft and the outside collar to the pulley or whatever.

I love them. They really make an easy interface to a gear or sprocket or pulley or whatever.

They are easy to adjust and to take apart and as long as you have a strong enough outer ring to cause sufficient pressure on the inner shaft, they hold the rated torque beautifully.

In the case of the 11mm trantorque, they are rated for 34N-m which is just about perfect for the Bosch Power Sliding Door Motor!!!

Joe J.

To reinforce what Joe is saying (like he needs it), we use the 11mm trantorque for this application as well. The van door motor using this trantorque works beautifully.

Trantorques come in all shapes and sizes and are great not only for many robot applications, but also for quick prototyping. The 8mm trantorque works great with both CIM motors (big and small). We used the 8mm trantorque for our prototyping this year.

-Paul

Where would I purchase the conveyor belt that everyone else seems to be talking about? I cant find it in the Kit-of-Parts list.

Those are genius! I knew mcmaster must have had a part to make it easy to interface with motors. They have everything its just a matter of finding it in their massive tomb(or website now i suppose.) I’m going to tell my team to order a bunch of those right away. Sersiously just about the biggest issue my team has is interfacing with motors, its a big challenge converting output shafts into something a sprocket or pulley can attach to well. Especially in the robotics class that has been started in my school, they end up doing all sorts of silly things to mount sprockets. Every team should be told about them.

Okay i’ve definitely been involved in FIRST too long. I just got excited about a nifty little collar thing. :slight_smile: