Breaching technicalitys

I am wondering, are you able to damage a defense by crossing it, then immediately backing up over the same defense. I have been going through the rule book but haven’t found anything yet.
Thank you

I don’t see anything against it if the defense you’re crossing isn’t the drawbridge; both times would count as crossing it. However, for the drawbridge, you have to be completely off it for it to count, and if you go to the neutral zone using it, it will pop up, and you’d have to pull it down again to go back.

Please look up the definition of crossing.

Sorry. I didn’t notice the definition because it was on the next page.

A DEFENSE is CROSSED by a ROBOT when that ROBOT
■starts free of contact with the DEFENSE and completely in the NEUTRAL ZONE
■traverses the DEFENSE such that its BUMPERS go fully between the adjacent SHIELDS/GUARDRAIL,
and
■ends up fully contained by the opponent’s COURTYARD.

Definition of crossing:

an act performed by a ROBOT, such that it starts free of contact with an opponent DEFENSE and completely in the NEUTRAL ZONE, traverses the DEFENSE such that its BUMPERS go fully between the adjacent SHIELDS/GUARDRAIL, and ends up fully contained by the opponent’s COURTYARD

So, as far as I can see, except for the category C defenses (unless another bot is hold the door open for you), you can cross, back up, then re-cross to damage a defense.

Alright, thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Mentor Mac here. The Shades said no. Each year they read the rules. While we go to lunch on Saturday. They have 35 plus years of experience. Then they reviewed the game to us. From 1pm to 2:40 pm. Yes they do miss things. Yes they like all of us are not perfect. But they are good at what they do. We are here in Md., DC. and Virginia. Thank You

Here’s a scenario: your robot starts in the neutral zone, then crosses over the defense in position 2, weakening it. Now in your opponents courtyard you move to the position 4 defense and cross over it back into the neutral zone. Does this mean both defenses get weakened/damaged or is it only the first one?

What is… the definition of Crossing?

Answer: Only the first one.