Team 2021 or 2020 robot Drivetrain Style Confirmation Notes
1619 2021 robot swerve 2021 reveal Didn’t submit PPC or ISAC, 12 falcon swerve
364 2021 robot swerve in thread Full IR robot
2992 2021 robot swerve in thread Full IR robot
3015 2021 robot swerve in thread
4613 2021 robot (unknown) in thread Full IR robot
3538 2021 robot swerve in thread Didn’t submit GSC
1796 (unknown) (unknown)
148 (assumed) 2021 robot (assumed) swerve Assuming it is a new robot because no ISAC or PPC, 2020 robot had swerve Didn’t submit ISAC or PPC
2910 2021 robot swerve 2020 and 2021 reveal
1983 2020 robot WCD confirmed on CD
1684 2021 robot swerve 2020 and 2021 reveal Didn’t submit GSC
4020 2020 robot swerve confirmed in thread
6328 2020 robot WCD confirmed in thread
4414 2021 robot swerve 2021 reveal
3928 2020 robot WCD confirmed in thread Didn’t submit hyperdrive, spent time evenly on all other challenges
5199 2021 robot WCD in thread Didn’t submit auto-nav, redesigned intakea nd shooter with smaller form factor for 2021
2539 2021 robot swerve confirmed in thread
3620 2020 robot swerve confirmed in thread
4388 2020 robot WCD I’m on the team
88 2020 robot WCD in thread focused on hyperdrive lightspeed

I was curious to know how my team (4388) stacked up against the other dedicated 2021 robots and what other teams were using 2020 robots and I put this list together. I didn’t say that a removed climber or slightly redesigned mechanism was a new robot, only ones that had major new features or redesigns (ie. swerve drive.) This is not a complete list, let me know if you have any info and I will update the list. Global leader board

11 Likes

2992 is a new bot, though not built totally custom for IR@H. It has a 5 ball spindexer, and though there is no climber currently on the bot, we have a climber designed and prototyped that will fit on the bot for off-season events.

2 Likes

4613 used our 2021 comp bot ( built for in person comps in Australia)
We also have our 2020 robot finished Feb last year.

Both robots will be revealed soon

9 Likes

364 is a new bot. That was designed for in person events based on what we learned from last year, Hence the name Hindsight.

It has a 5 ball spindexer, 270 turret with two falcon shooter with adjustable hood and our 6 generation swerve module we have been developing for the last two years. We have a climber made, just not installed on the robot. The frame is 28" X 28" and it weighs 115lbs.

4 Likes

4020 used our competition bot from 2020. We removed most of the climbers as well as the control panel spinner. We used the same shooter design, but added a 2-position adjustable hood to handle Interstellar Accuracy. In the end, the entire shooter was re-manufactured to accomodate the adjustable part, but it’s about 90% the same as the 2020 comp shooter with the same COTS parts.

It was kind of fun to see that big robot hauling through the AutoNav courses with little room to spare between some of the markers.

It was painful to lose in IRHAG to 2337, who built a new, tiny robot without a shooter to compete in only 3 of the 5 challenges. But in the end, they optimized maximally given the game rules and we didn’t so more power to them.

1 Like

I can confirm that 6328’s robot (“Bot-Bot Strikes Back”) is one and the same as 2020 (see our Build Thread for all the details). Changes were only to remove the climbers, upgrade the wheels to blue nitrile, and add stops to provide a 4th position for our pneumatically-operated hood. We designed a new intake as well, but ended up using the original one which turned out to be able to snarf up balls at speed for Galactic Search.

As a mentor, I’m very proud of the performance our students were able to wring out of that machine. We had quite the friendly competition going between the drive team and the programming team for who could put up the better times (and it went back and forth a bunch of times).

4 Likes

The Average Joes’ 2020 robot competed at the St. Joseph District (FiM), the week before Covid-19 shut everything down. For 2021 our students put significant effort into improved shooting accuracy; however, the basic robot is the same as our 2020 model. Mechanical enhancements: optimized pre-shooter gear ratio, and a few minor tweaks. Software enhancements: numerous. Training enhancements: drill and more drill. Team leadership changed also, bringing a stronger focus on continuous improvement.

We feel your pain. We have a history of losing to those guys unless we partner with them.

3 Likes

4388 also upgraded our shooter from a single falcon design to dual falcons and we removed the climber for weight savings. But nearly everything else is exactly the same as we would of competed with.

Agreed on the seeing the big robot hauling, we have a shifting gearbox so we can actually go pretty quick with a falcon drive train. On the teleop barrel run we were driving so fast that we actually drifted our drive train. You can see the back wheels kicking out in the video.

Team 2539 Krypton Cougars were one of the lucky teams to have competed at a 2020 Week 1 event before everything got shut down. We were also able to meet at our Buildsite throughout the year, though we had many weeks that we closed up for Covid safety. Over the summer we totally redesigned our practice robot with an over the bumper intake and a spindexer hoping for fall competitions which never happened. When the 2021 @Home games were revealed, the students petitioned the mentors to build Team 2539’s first ever swerve drive robot. So to give our team and especially the seniors as normal a 2021 season as possible, we built a new swerve drive base robot. We built it large, 30 x 30, with the intent of adding a climber and color wheel spinner for future off season comps. We utilized our original 2020 turreted shooter, the over the bumper intake from the summer, and a new ball track/feed system. Programmers did a great job with the swerve and the autonomous routines. When the Global Leaderboard came out the team was highly motivated to do their best. After doing several skills challenges and looking at other teams videos, we realized that we should have built a smaller robot. But our drive team and programmers dug in and did their best to negotiate the tight courses and kept us at the top of the Global Leaderboard for several weeks, eventually ending in 17th, and 11th in Overall Skills. Very proud of Team 2539 and the effort put into the 2021 @Home Season.

2 Likes

3538 was a brand new built for 2021 robot.

5 Likes

I would be really curious about a breakdown of the drivetrain the top 20 used: swerve, WCD, kitbot, etc

3 Likes

4020 used swerve with SDS MK2 modules, standard gearing. We started with NEO motors, but changed the drive motor to a Falcon to try to keep up with super quick drive challenge times. We did not try to optimize times with combinations of drive motor and gearing options.

1 Like

TL;DR 3928 used a 2020 robot for IR@Home

Longer answer: 3928 was building 2 bots for 2020, but we didn’t finish our “competition” bot in time for week 1 in 2020, so we took our “practice” robot to Greater Kansas City. After that we started finishing our second robot for about a week before the pre-covid world ended. Starting in January 2021 we finished that 2nd robot which is basically the same bot as the practice bot with a nice paint job and some minor iterations on the intake, climber and shooter.

We used a WCD on both.

Edit, added pics:

“Competition”

“Practice”

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, especially in the hyperdrive. Swerve seemed to EXPLODE this year and had me wishing we took the plunge. Looks like I know what we’ll be building this offseason.

2 Likes

I updated the table to show if teams were WCD or Swerve

1 Like

4388 is going to be building “summer swerve,” I am really looking forward to trying out all of the different techniques that we wanted to try in previous seasons but didn’t because we didn’t have any experience with them.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of sideways… 2022 gunna be wild or a mess.

18 Likes

17 Likes

The '22 game will probably force a different type drive. :crazy_face:

2 Likes