Building a Super Powerpoint

I am in a bit of a bind here. I have a presentation to prepare for a student showcase next Tuesday, and the muses of powerpoints are apparently not well pleased in me. I really need some help figuring out just what I should do for my presentation, as it can be no longer than 10 min, keeping in mind that i have to not only talk about our team but explain what FIRST is as well, I’m in a bit over my first-year super nerd head. Oh, and did i mention? I have to leave enough time to demo our robot as well. Please, all you FIRST wizards and sages out there, throw me some tips if you can.

If you are getting bored with standard powerpoint, you could try http://prezi.com/ A well created Prezi presentation looks amazing and professional.

Just my opinion really, I haven’t had any formal instruction in best practices for powerpoint:

Just like on a robot, let form follow function. If it’s a brief explanatory SHOWcase of FIRST and your team, you might find it efficient to let the powerpoint be mostly pictures or SmartArt/graphic organizers. If you’re confident in your ability to narrate, then let written explanations be only the most sparingly used bullet points.

Want to mention the ever-growing scope of FIRST? Get a picture from Championship of the enormity of the crowds.
Want to mention that FIRST teams need to build a team identity/brand in addition to robots? Find a pic of a team showing insane team spirit/imagery, I’m sure you have a local competitor that comes to mind, if not your very own team.
Want to show the structure of your team subdivisions? A graphic organizer showing only titles and maybe # of people assigned will do.

When my team is doing a presentation to appeal for sponsorship, we’d usually make sure that our wants/needs/begging are listed in print, in addition to voicing them. But for a brief showcase leading up to a live demo, you could try “taking a picture walk.”

Rule 1 with powerpoints is to use more pictures than text; that is what distinguishes them from a normal presentation. I can’t tell you how many times me and my classmates have been bored to death by a prof showing us slides full of text.

Use contrast, and lots of big pictures!

big1boom said: If you are getting bored with standard powerpoint, you could try http://prezi.com/ A well created Prezi presentation looks amazing and professional.
Thx for the tip. I used Prezi for my presentation, and it was a hit!