Bumble Bee

This is just an example of my question:

If a Bumbel Bee was hovering inside the middle of an empty moving school bus, that was going approximatly 70 miles an hour, and the bus suddenly stopped short would the Bumble Bee hit the back of the bus when it caught up??

I would really like to hear your feedback and thoughts! :slight_smile:

poor wording on the last bit there.

Anyone know the stopping distance of a school bus and/or the reaction time/stopping distance of a bee? Both going 70 mph.

[edit]ps- 70 mph = 31.2928 meters per second[/edit]

well, not the back of the bus, but the front of the cab, maybe (typo?). i don’t know enough about bumble bees to say whether or not it would be able to stop itself in time, or if aerodynamic drag would be strong enough, but assuming it was unable to slow itself down, newtons first law says that it would.

Its funny that you asked if it was a “typo”! yes it was …i threw that in to see if any one would catch it…you did…well done :slight_smile:

i caught that too, megacadet called me up about a laptop cable, but while we were on the phone he told me about this thread, and i said “wait, it would hit the front of the bus, not the back!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Reminds me of a puzzle I heard not to long ago. It was about a train that was moving and it stopped quickly for whatever reason. There was a person alone in one of the cars and when the train stopped the person screamed in pain.
People came running to their aid, and then a police man was called to the scene to fill out an accident report. The person said that when the train stopped they were walking towards the front of the car and when the train stopped suddenly they fell backwards and hit their head and wanted to sue… LIAR!!!

Maybe it was in that Slylock Fox comic where I saw it…

Trains don’t stop suddenly. Period. They can take several miles to do a full-out emergancy stop.
[edit]I mean today. On it’s own. No crashing.[/edit]

Trains can stop trains suddenly. period. I remember reading about how during the turn of the century, they would make entertainment out of decomissioning old engines and cars by crashing them together in front of an audience. Apparently at one such event, the boilers exploded from the pressure and many people were killed by flying rivets and bolts from the boilers.

right,
if the bee was attached to the bus (ie it was sitting on a seat) then it would go flying into the screen. Like when your in car and you shunt someone you go fowards because you are going at the same speed as the car but dont decelerate as fast as the car.
If the bee was flying around in the bus on its own (as the question states) then it would not go flying into the back as it would be able to decelerate with the same speed, as its momentum isn’t high. Its the same in rollercoasters et. If you just brake in a ollercoaster you go fowards b/c the coaster has deceleeated faster than you have (sry my R key is a bit dodgey here lol)

I don’t think there is enough information (like bus speed, braking force, temperature, etc.) to determine the answer. My instinct, though, is that the bee would be able to stop itself before it hit the FRONT of the bus.

Think about the air in the bus. The bee is floating in the midst of an air mass as it (the mass of air) is carried along inside the bus. The bee is able to effect enough force on the air underneath it to keep itself from falling to the floor.

When the bus stops suddenly, the air will want to slosh toward the front of the bus, carrying the bee with it. And here is where the gut feeling comes in: The air mass will be denser at the front of the bus, so, assuming the bus isn’t braking with too many G’s, the bee should, by shifting its force vector, be able to get enough support from that denser air to keep it from becoming a grease spot on the inside of the windshield. :eek: