I keep meaning to put a data dump on Github, but here’s our OHCL spreadsheet. You can take a look at some of the cool stuff we did this year, and make a copy if you want to interact with it.
- Match data was collected through a custom digital form (technically a Google Scripts Web App built on a spreadsheet), which you can see here. Pit data was just a Google Form connected to that same spreadsheet. We did this so that we could have a custom form (see especially the second and third page’s cargo and rocket diagrams, which work great with mobile touch) that the scouters could use on their phones. I’d use team tablets if we had them though, not everybody had data available on their phones, which created (fairly minor, all things considered) headaches.
- Everything. We want to collect all the data we can, and then analyze what’s important based on the competition. Anything that happens in a match affects its outcome, so collecting all the data gives us much better insights into matches, and by extension, teams.
(Edit: I should put a clarifier on this: some things that we didn’t find to be terribly important, like fouls, we relegated to a comment box. Additionally, I don’t think we’ve ever done driver skill except exceptional cases in the comment box because we’ve never found a way for it to work for our team. I think the skill is inferred largely through results anyways, and the extent which is visible on the field but isn’t reflected somehow in the data is, in my opinion, largely not worth worrying about.)
(Also edit: We didn’t use where they put playing pieces too much, but we I think that was largely the interface’s fault. If I had incorporated that into the interfaces we used more often, I think it would have been more important.)
- Slightly. The only changes we had to make were a few lines of text updating the event name and settings. Mostly for fun, I ended up implementing a match prediction engine during our second competition, mostly because at that point things were running smoothly for once and so I had some time to poke around with it, which I had mostly already created during the preseason. We never really used it for anything but to look interesting though. It did provide interest for the scouters sitting in the stands, though, so that’s a benefit I suppose.
- As you might have inferred from my first answer, Google Sheets!
4a. Lots of them! (Mostly good). It was easy to learn (for me, I realize not or everybody) and there’s practically no ceiling. Anything you want to do, there’s a function, add-on (like my TBA Requests), or the ability to make custom functions for. The fact that you start from scratch means that if you want to customize it, you know how to because you set it up in the first place. There’s a time investement, to be sure, but the versatility of it has really convinced me that it’s excellent for scouting. You can do custom UIs, data analysis modeling, really anything, fairly easily.
- This is probably the biggest weakness with our scouting at the moment. We have a meeting the evening before the last day to discuss potential candidates, where qualitative observations from mentors and scouters meet custom and simple numerical ratings to generate a pick list. I think the general concept is pretty decent, but it’s unorganized and I don’t think anybody really leaves the meeting happy and confident with the list.
I’m more than happy to field any questions!