Camera other than Axis 206?

Our trusty Axis 206 camera seems to have died. We tried restoring the factory defaults, made sure it has 5V in the right polarity, opened it up to see if any connections are obviously broken. Dead. The lights on the front don’t even light up.

This thread seems to hint that there may be some problem using the Axis recommended replacement, the M1011.

Has anyone had success using ANY camera other than a Axis 206? We need something FAST for obvious reasons.

Here’s one person having success with the m1011 http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=914946&postcount=6

Our M1011 axis camera is coming today but we’re more than a little nervous about it given the sparse information about teams getting it to work. Does anyone have any advice?

We have one. Put the account on it and plug it in.

Oh, and please let me know how yours goes.

Greg McKaskle

We got the new camera to work with the drivers station last night which is a good sign. We’ll be trying to get at it from our C++ code today.

bought the axis m1101 works fine so far

We got ours working fully as well under C++. The new Axis M1011 seems to work as well as the old one, perhaps even a sharper picture though it’s hard to know for sure without a side by side comparison. We got ours overnight from www.CDW.com for $179 plus shipping.

can someone please explain to me exactly how they did this. our m1011 has not been working in C++. All we managed to do is plug in the lines for our 206 camera

AxisCamera &camera = AxisCamera::GetInstance();

this gives us a watchdog error after about 6 seconds. the cRio then proceeds to refuse to give signal.

we believed it was a problem with the bandwith or processing since it is a better camera than the 206.
We’ve tried changing image resolution, compression, frame rate, and we are still getting the same problem no matter what.

could someone please write out exactly what they did to get theirs to work please!!!

Have you gone through and gotten it set up per the getting started document? We just set up the newer camera and it was up and running without an issue.

One thing we DID notice was that for some reason, while we were debugging, we set the brightness to 80 through the labview code. After that point in time, we were completely unable to change that brightness setting BACK, and ended up having to log directly into the camera to set the brightness back to the usual 40. Other than that, it does seem to feed back images to the dashboard just as well as the other one did.

i got it set up exactly like it says in the manual, set comp ip to 192.168.0.6 go to web browser and got to 192.168.0.90 then set password and configure to 340 x 280 or whatever that size was.

It was done exactly the way FIRST says to do it and when we plug it in with the old code that worked with the 206 camera, bam the cRio does what i previously explained.

Eceryone i have talked to at other competitions said “we just configured it and plugged it in” except for 70’s programmer, he did some crazy stuff with the libraries that i don’t intend to do since i only want an image.

I am not particularly versant with the IP configurations of the new controls system, but I know most things are 192.xx.yy.1, rather than 192.168.0.1. Are you sure the middle of the IP doesn’t need to be your team number?

The camera does not follow the typical FRC naming convention, which 10.xx.yy.z where xxyy is the team number and z is the identifier for the router, bridge, cRIO, Classmate etc. The default IP is correct on the older camera, but I don’t know about the new, square one.

It says it is the same ip address. My question is involving how the actual camera functions and the code works with the data because my big theory is,

The camera sends more information to the cRio than the cRio actually dumps out of its system. That is why after 6 seconds of being turned on and operating fine, the cRio has overflow errors because it is trying to hold onto too much data.

I need a way to change the subroutine called upon by
AxisCamera &camera = AxisCamera::GetInstance();
Since it is the only thing that seems wrong with the entire setup because
i recieve the proper image i ask for and it runs on the cRio.

The cRIO and camera both have 100Mbit ethernet. The new and old camera both compress images using the same algorithm. The new one is or seems to be largely compatible with the old one. Provided you put an account on the camera, it should respond with images, just like the 206 did.

The GetInstance() function opens the TCP session with the camera. It is hanging, returning an error, or what?

Greg McKaskle

The camera is on the second network port of the cRIO. It is indeed supposed to be at the 192.168.0.90 IP address.

Here is an exact description of what happens:
we power up the cRio
the netbook connects to the cRio
the camera turns green
we enable the cRio
the robot begins sending an image once teleoperated starts
(This is because we have the single line of code just before the teleoperated loop)
watchdog might flicker on the screen for a moment
after between 6 to 7 seconds, Watchdog appears, stays, and the robot loses connection. It remains that way until we physically turn off the robot.

that is all that happens every time.

Question. Are there any hardware differences to the newer model that makes it mount to the “pan and tilt assembly” differently or is this not a concern?

We don’t use the Pan and tilt system but here are some pictures of the two cameras.

http://promotechmexico.com.mx/tienda/images/axis-M1011.jpg

http://securitybestbuy.com/images/AXIS%20206%20Network%20Camera_img_3.jpg