Camera power cable

Hello from Mustang Robotics #1281,

We have put together our camera and pan and tilt for the 2006 FRC “Aim High” challenge, after doing this we wanted to test out the camera unfortunately we are unable to find the vision sensor power adapter cable and we would like to know what it looks like and which part of the kit it is in so we can continue work. If you could provide us with a picture of it that would be nice.

thanks, from the Mustang Robotics Team.

Are you looking for the power cable for the Vision Target or the CMUCam?

The CMUCam is powered by a PWM cable running from your RC, as described in the plethora of documentation at usfirst.org.

The Vision Target is powered by a twelve volt power source of your choice. The 12v batteries used to power the robots work quite well.

The documentation for the camera(CMUcam) refers to an adapter for use with the backup battery. We would like to find this cable.

Thanks, Mustang Robotics #1281

Hey whoever made a similiar account to mine :smiley:

I found this just now

“In order to initially test your CMUcam2, you will need a serial cable, a power
adapter and a computer. The CMUcam2 can use a power supply which produces
anywhere from 6 to 15 volts of DC power capable of supplying at least
200mA of current. This can be provided by either an AC adapter (possibly
included) or a battery supply. These should be available at any local electronics
store. The serial cable should have been provided with your CMUcam2.
Make sure that you have the CMOS sensor board connected to the CMUcam2
board so that it is in the same orientation as the picture shows on the cover of
this manual.”

There is no actual power supply for the camera. To power it, connect a PWM cable to any PWM on the robot control (It’s just used for power, nothing else), then connect it to the power port on the CMU cam. Turn on the robot controller, and connect a backup battery. Might I suggest the CMU Camera subforum in Programming? It’s got this question (among others you will probably have)

If you are talking about the adapter for the 7.2V backup battery, refer to:

http://www2.usfirst.org/2006comp/other/KOP_Checklist_&_Photos-Rev_A.pdf

picture IF119.jpg

Our team also noticed this cable in the docs, but when we looked through the KOP, its not there, and wo what you will need to do is hook the camera up to the main controller board for the robot. I believe that you hook a pwm into any pwn output spot, but then thats detailed in the instructions on IFI. So you can’t have the camera work in isolation like they showed on the kickoff, that requires some extra stuff, but since it has to work in conjunction with the robot, it really doesn’t matter that you have to hook it up now. Hope this helps.

We took an extra connector that connects the backup battery to the RC and adapted it to hook into the camera. I believe we cut a PWM cable in half, put spades on the bare wires, hooked them to the backup battery connector and then pluged the PWM adaptor into the camera power connector (don’t quote me on this though).

The “power adapter cable” isn’t specific to the vision sensor. It’s the short pair of wires with the 7.2v backup battery connector on one end and the pair of spade connectors for the RC backup battery input on the other.
http://www.ifirobotics.com/images/battery-adapter-bu.gif

So you can’t have the camera work in isolation like they showed on the kickoff, that requires some extra stuff,

They used the EduBot controller at the kickoff.

If you have an edu controller that is the easiest way to do it. If not then do this…

take the power adapter shown in alan andersons post, now find male spades that will fit into the crimp ons on the adapter cut the female end off of a pwm cable, solder the spades onto the red and black wires of the pwm cable, attach the adapter to the spades then the battery (the 7.2v blue one) to the adapter and plug it into the power port on the camera.

If you have an extra adapter you can cut the crimp on ends off the adapter and solder the red and black wires directly together.

Either way save the female end of the cable, you will need it if you want to add sensors or limit switches to your robot.

good luck

Why would you be making 7v cables for the cmucam… its not really that useful without the controller… It does have the built in demo mode that can supposedly track a colored object, but how useful is that really?

The guide for setting up the camera does seem a bit confusing at times, but it seems to be pretty good.