Can I stick a suction cup on the operator wall in front of me?

Basically, I want to stick a suction cup in front of me at eye level with a light on it so I can see it while driving. Is this legal?

y would you want to do that?

HUD:smiley:

Probably not, because that might give some teams an unfair advantage…say those with very large budgets, who can afford a HUD vs those who cannot. Now don’t quote me on this just my opinion.

Brian Richards, 1983 Mechanic

I forget which rule it is but there is one that prohibits teams from arttaching to feild ellements

I think that suction cup would technically “not fit” on the operator shelf. However, you can stick the led to your safty glasses in a form of wearable controls.

He said a light, this could be an led that costs $.10. We mounted led’s on a telescoping antenna ached to the OI last year for a heads up display. Phone cable was wrapped around the antenna to bring power to the led.

Another thing that you could do is attach a piece of lexan or plexiglass to your control panel itself and mount the LED to that, so technically it is all on the operator shelf and serves the purpose you need.

Brian Richards, 1983 Mechanic

I’m not sure about the answer on this. I remember one year we used a HUD device. We bent lexan and mounted the LED to the lexan. The lexan then attatched to our hats we had on and could see the light perfectly. The wires ran down the side and then to it OI. Just a suggestion.

Pardon me on that one, i mis-linked Nate Laverdure’s post and the original. My mistake

I don’t think they would really care. But if you think they might you can attach it to your controller with a tall pole.

I think that suction cup would technically “not fit” on the operator shelf. However, you can stick the led to your safty glasses in a form of wearable controls.

We did this last year and it worked great!