Can you have a banana on your operator console?

We recently got a Makey Makey, and I’m curious if it’s prohibited to have a banana as part of our driver interface. Just a random thought :grin:

SHOOT THE BALL!!! HIT THAT BANANA!!!

27 Likes

Please do this.

16 Likes

If it’s allowed (and I can sneak the banana past the mentors), I will :grin:

8 Likes

After thorough examination of both the game manual and the first Q&A, I have found nothing against this! Some venues might not like food inside their place but other than that I don’t see any rules broken.

7 Likes

You must have a sign next to it that says, “Banana for scale”.

29 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Wait, now, this seems like it could be a slippery slope.

I mean, if you can have a banana, what will the next person ask for? A slide rule?

10 Likes

Pit Admin: Team 6763 is looking for a fresh banana. Theirs is spoiled, and they need a new one for their match in 2 minutes. Team 6763 needs a fresh banana. Thank you.

43 Likes

Don’t expect the GDC to give you an answer about the venue issue. I asked about the issues with a venue not allowing a baguette or leg of mutton, and they just deleted the question.

17 Likes

Things to consider:

1. This may fall afoul of R93 because bananas are well-known to be radiation sources.
  2. Due to how OPERATOR CONSOLE is defined in the glossary and R89, it might not be able to be a part of the OPERATOR CONSOLE if it’s not used in some way to “relay commands to the ROBOT”.
  3. Even if it’s not a part of the OPERATOR CONSOLE, you may be able to bring it into the ALLIANCE STATION per H1-C if you can convince the REFEREES that it’s a “reasonable decorative item”. But if you do this, then it can’t “connect or attach” to the OPERATOR CONSOLE or to another ALLIANCE member, though I see no prohibition on connecting it to somebody on your own team (say, by a person eating it).
  4. Per E12, your team actually can’t give the banana to somebody else at all, just in case you were considering doing so.

(Just in case it’s not clear, nothing in this post is intended to be taken particularly seriously.)

23 Likes

I was going to suggest that it’s PPE.

Hungry operators may faint during the matches. Food prevents fainting. Therefore, it’s PPE and should be allowed. However, care should be taken to prevent banana residue from getting on the Power Cells.

29 Likes

The easy way to do this is to hot glue a banana to your operator console and say that it’s a required piece of equipment for memeing.
The hard way to do this is to use it for driving (Replace your joystick with a banana), and operating (again, more joysticks)
The hard way is guaranteed to allow you to have a banana.

3 Likes

If all else fails, declare that it’s artwork. Have to watch for other hungry artists, though.

10 Likes

Proposed language, adding vii under rule H1:

vii. Components of the OPERATOR CONSOLE that are edible must be shared with the FIELD STAFF prior to the match.

16 Likes

It could be a non-powered signalling device, similar to the aforementioned baguette or leg of mutton.

5 Likes

hmm yes, potassium

5 Likes

You will have to get a waver from Dave Lavery.

3 Likes

Teams may not use BANANA PEELS to sabotage opposing alliance members.
Violation: Pie in the face

19 Likes

Yeah, that could be an H14 violation if particularly egregious. We wouldn’t want that to happen.

3 Likes

Better bring a bunch. I’ve never known a field staff that wasn’t hungry except in the first match after lunch.

3 Likes