Can you have a banana on your operator console?

And no green bananas - they need to be yellow with no brown spots.

6 Likes

As long as it’s not a wireless banana and where you put it fits inside the drive station size limits you are good. Thanks for the idea, now I might use lemon to shoot our lemons…

4 Likes

If you run into any issues with… squishing, you could 3D print it instead if you have the time/resources to do so.

4 Likes

Glad I would have to only inspect the banana, and not be a part of the field reset/cleanup crew…

5 Likes

Biggest problem is where to keep the pies, so field reset doesn’t eat them.

9 Likes

If its hooked up to a Makey Makey then it IS being used to relay commands to the robot. Functionally, the banana is being used as a Joystick button.

3 Likes

I’d be curious to see what upgrades you’d make between competitions.
“If we make it to champs we’re using Blue Java bananas!”

5 Likes

Oh, never mind then. I had put much more effort into searching for what rules might even kinda be related than into researching what the OP was actually asking about. If you use a banana as a joystick button, then it definitely qualifies as being part of the OPERATOR CONSOLE, as long as the LRI doesn’t think it fails R93 due to the radiation, it being a potential slipping hazard, or it being a potential field contaminant (or maybe some other reason I can’t think of; I’m certainly not an Inspector).

1 Like

Oh shoot, no wireless bananas. :sweat_smile:
Lemons work well, too!

1 Like

I really want to know if this actually happened but I don’t think MakeyMakeys can be used as joystick s.

1 Like

The MakeyMakey is basically just an Arduino using an ATmega32u4 processor, which means you can very easily emulate a Joystick or Gamepad HID Device using a library like this one: https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary

This is how 3468’s Custom ButtonBoard/Secondary Controller works this year, though using an Arduino Pro Micro instead of a MakeyMakey. Which I actually did the programming for, literally last night: https://github.com/frc3468/InfiniteRecharge/blob/Arduino-Gamepad/arduino_gamepad/InfiniteRechargeOperatorConsoleGamepad/InfiniteRechargeOperatorConsoleGamepad.ino

I stand corrected, but it does take a bit of hackery. Out of the box they are configured as keyboards.

3 Likes

Its an Arduino, hacking is the name of the game!

2 Likes

Amen.

2 Likes

But that was Power Up…

3 Likes

We’re actually using the Makey Makey to emulate keypresses, which go through FRC Dashboard to the robot through NetworkTables.

Sadly, we can’t do banana power for our first event. It might appear at NE District Granite State Event NE District Greater Boston Event, so stay tuned!

A lot of venues sell fresh fruit now. You could have a whole fruit salad controller going

2 Likes

What team are you on? I need to watch your matches if you follow through on this :joy:

I didn’t know Shawn Wasabi was on an FRC team

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.