Carnegie Mellon Encoder

Can anyone tell me where to find the encoder that is being used on the Carnegie Mellon edubot website?

thanks

David Clark
Team 1245

Digi-key sells the components, but there is some assembly required.Part number EE-SX1061 http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=39&M=EE-SX1061. They’re $1.95 each.

You’d need a resistor to limit the current through the emitter side. The peak output is at 20mA, so maybe 330 ohms.

I haven’t used it, but I think you connect the collector to the signal input on the input pin and the emitter to ground. It should pull the input pin to ground when the slot is open.

Pin C - RC signal input
Pin E - RC ground
Pin K - Connect to pin E via 330 ohm resistor
Pin A - RC +5V

Has anyone gotten this to work. I am playing with it in the lab right now but I cannot get voltage changes. I may have something hooked up wrong. I am checking the voltage of the +5 Digital In but it just stays at 0. Any help would be great.

We got ours to work. Here is what we used. We used the EE-SX1061 like above but connected it in this manner to get the needed voltages.

Pin E: RC Sig
Pin C: +5 Volt RC
Pin K: Blk (Ground)
Pin A: Either connect C to A through a 100 Ohm resistor or through a 100 Ohm resistor from a +5V RC

I left out something on my last post. Below is a working connection.

Pin E: RC Sig and Connect through a Load Resistor to K (1k will work)
Pin C: +5 Volt RC
Pin K: Blk (Ground)
Pin A: Connect C to A through a 100 Ohm resistor

Also, the EduBot’s input receive is too slow to register all turns of the sprocket. The spokes are too thin. To fix this problem, we added paper to increase the width of the spokes. It counts wheel rotations well.