Category C Obstacle

Hello all.

Is it possible to push down the drawbridge or drive through the sally port from the opposite side, as in from the opponents courtyard. Would it count as weakening the obstacle by going over it backwards (from the opponents courtyard to the neutral zone). Thanks.

No,
You must drive through the obstacle from the neutral zone and into the courtyard for it to count. (Section 3.1.3)

But yes, it should be easy to cross the drawbridge or sally port backwards, you just won’t get points for it.

for the question on whether you get points, please see the manual for the bullets that describe this specific goal. Look for “A DEFENSE is CROSSED by a ROBOT when that ROBOT” in section 3.1.3

Actually, going over it either way counts.
3.1.3 Each DEFENSE starts the MATCH with two (2) STRENGTH (a measure of progress towards the completion of an objective). Each time a DEFENSE is CROSSED by a ROBOT, its STRENGTH is decreased by one (1).

but look at the definition of CROSSED. Since it is an all caps word, it has a specific game definition in 3.1.3

Read the rest of the rule. The red bullets define what “crossed” means - and specify that the robot must start completely in the neutral zone and not touching the defense.

A DEFENSE is CROSSED by a ROBOT when that ROBOT
■ starts free of contact with the DEFENSE and completely in the NEUTRAL ZONE
■ traverses the DEFENSE such that its BUMPERS go fully between the adjacent SHIELDS/GUARDRAIL, and
■ ends up fully contained by the opponent’s COURTYARD.

What I’m wondering is if a teammate can lower it from the other side and then let you cross

I suggest looking up the definition of CROSSING. As per page 31, a defense is crossed when the robot:

“1) starts free of contact with the DEFENSE and completely in the NEUTRAL ZONE
2) traverses the DEFENSE such that its BUMPERS go fully between the adjacent SHIELDS/GUARDRAIL,
and
3) ends up fully contained by the opponent’s COURTYARD.”

Oh, sorry. I didn’t notice that because it was on the next page.

A DEFENSE is CROSSED by a ROBOT when that ROBOT
■starts free of contact with the DEFENSE and completely in the NEUTRAL ZONE
■traverses the DEFENSE such that its BUMPERS go fully between the adjacent SHIELDS/GUARDRAIL,
and
■ends up fully contained by the opponent’s COURTYARD.

yes this is allowed

Here, let me be a gentleman and open this dreaded sally port or drawbridge for you, oh, and by-the-way, if you would be just so kind as to stop up here a short moment when you will be completely safe from any interference from the enemy Red Alliance, I’ll just drive across elsewhere grab a boulder and follow you right on through and we will fully damage this Red Alliances Defense once and for all. Thank you so much and you are very welcome indeed.