CDI Rules Clarification

Posted by David Kelly.

Student on team #234, Cyber Blue, from Perry Meridian H. S. and Rolls-Royce.

Posted on 11/20/2000 4:58 PM MST

I thought it was ILLEGAL to use STEEL on your robot for the CDI Competition. Because I remember seeing (if my memory serves me right) STEEL on a couple of robots there. Example, Team #1 The Juggernauts. I remember seeing STEEL on their lift arm. I just hope, in the spirit of the competition, that nobody was going against ANY of the rules.

David Kelly
Student Captain Team 234

P.S. For those of you who don’t notice. Team 234 is our there! We placed 6th place in the qualification rounds and DIDN’T GET DRAFTED. Our BEST finishing place EVER! Thanks

Posted by S. Krussell.

Coach on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 11/20/2000 6:22 PM MST

In Reply to: CDI Rules Clarification posted by David Kelly on 11/20/2000 4:58 PM MST:

David,

Calm down. You were supposed to have fun, not be all mad at everybody. Teams have the right to choose whomever they want. Instead of fuming about not being picked for finals, concentrate on all the wonderfulness of the opportunities you were given, and the experiences you had in preparing for the competition.

Those of us who are fortunate to live in such a good place, and to be part of an organization like FIRST need to step back every once in awhile and really appreciate the fun, the hard work that is so rewarding, the engineers who mentor the kids, the wonderful parents doing all the right things, the excitement created by the fabulous Pontiac Central Chiefs. did you see all the smiling faces Saturday?

By the way, congratulations on making it to 6th place. That in itself is an accomplishment. We made it to 5th place, then got ourselves knocked right out in the first 2 matches by the awesome Teams #111 (Wildstang) and #71 (Hammond). What a dream team they were, eh?

Posted by enigma.

Other from UI.

Posted on 11/20/2000 10:29 PM MST

In Reply to: Attitude Adjustment Time posted by S. Krussell on 11/20/2000 6:22 PM MST:

Hello board. Since this is my first posting, it has too be somewhat inventful yet controversial. Since I lack creativity and excell at getting people pissed off at me :), I proudly state that Al Gore should be presdent of the United States at all costs. If you want what’s good for U.S. F.I.R.S.T., you should have voted for Gore. OK, I’m done with that. Now for the real questions. A little background. I am an alumni of a certain team. I thooughly loved making the robot, and the competition in general. I want to know how I can get involved again, withput starting a new team at the University I attend. Also, most of you are probably close with the head engineers and teachers on your team. I unfortuantely was not for whatever reasons. It was not a big problem, but it does pose a problem in attempting to ‘rejoin.’ So I am open to suggestions. Please understand the cryptic nature of this. I try not to offend anybody at all :). Thanks!

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 11/21/2000 6:26 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Open to Suggestions posted by enigma on 11/20/2000 10:29 PM MST:

Hey enigma… maybe someday you will all let us know your name :slight_smile:

sometimes it is hard to get back onto your high school team, so matter who you were or how hard you try. some teams just can’t let their alumni on because they have to pay for their students (which is totally understandable, everyone deserves a shot at being on the team). This is where you do what 2 of my friends did- Anton, of 419 and Anthony, of 221- go start your own team. I hear ASME has some good resources on how to start one, and you can always try to snag a big sponsor- NASA, Delphi, GM, Ford, DiamlerChrysler, etc. You can also integrate all of the schools in the area of your university. You will have the time of your life and it will be so rewarding for you to actually introduce FIRST to the lives of these kids. Good luck, and remember, the proud posters at ChiefDelphi are always here to answer questions :slight_smile:

-Erin

p.s. I think Al Gore should be president too :slight_smile:

Posted by Patrick Dingle.

Student on team TBA from Cornell University / Ithaca High School sponsored by Cornell University.

Posted on 11/21/2000 1:03 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Open to Suggestions posted by enigma on 11/20/2000 10:29 PM MST:

I also agree that the best way to get involved is to start a new team. I am a Freshman in college, and have been working very hard to get a team going. It’s lots of work, it can be stressful, but ultimately it very rewarding… If you simply do not have any time to start a team, then you should try calling the heads of local teams. Just tell them you were on a FIRST team before, and ask if there is any way you can be of assistance to the team. There are lots of ways, I imagine, you can be involved with out being a financial burden on the team. However, if you happen to live in an area where there are no teams, like me, then starting a team may be the only option.

If you do happen to decide to try and start a team, feel free to contact me and I’ll try to give some more specific advise.

All the best,
Patrick

: Hello board. Since this is my first posting, it has too be somewhat inventful yet controversial. Since I lack creativity and excell at getting people pissed off at me :), I proudly state that Al Gore should be presdent of the United States at all costs. If you want what’s good for U.S. F.I.R.S.T., you should have voted for Gore. OK, I’m done with that. Now for the real questions. A little background. I am an alumni of a certain team. I thooughly loved making the robot, and the competition in general. I want to know how I can get involved again, withput starting a new team at the University I attend. Also, most of you are probably close with the head engineers and teachers on your team. I unfortuantely was not for whatever reasons. It was not a big problem, but it does pose a problem in attempting to ‘rejoin.’ So I am open to suggestions. Please understand the cryptic nature of this. I try not to offend anybody at all :). Thanks!

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 11/20/2000 9:32 PM MST

In Reply to: CDI Rules Clarification posted by David Kelly on 11/20/2000 4:58 PM MST:

David,
Are you sure that wasn’t aluminum? I didn’t see the building of that robot… but from personal experience (and trust me, i know what i’m talking about) the juggernauts stick to the aluminum/angeled aluminum scene. what are your sources, may i ask?

nice finish, btw… congrats.

-erin

Posted by Brad Breedlove.

Student on team #45, Technokats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 11/21/2000 7:17 AM MST

David,

The idea of CDI wasn’t to point fingers at other teams for what they are doing wrong. It is a team building activity to get pumped for the real deal. It is going to be really hard on you to go through every single robot at nationals and make sure that they are all using ACCEPTABLE MATERIALS. FIRST isn’t a school sport. It isn’t about rivalry, or to an extent, who has the better robot. It is about Friendship, Teamwork, Science, and Technology.

As the Lead for CDI for my team, my efforts were more driven on my team and our robot. Even though we placed somewhere between 18 and 22, our team came out winners because we grew as a team. I didn’t see the steel probably because I wasn’t looking for it. But if Juggernauts cheated, they know it and it will weigh on their conscience. So don’t worry about it.

Brad Breedlove
Technokats

p.s. Congratulations on your placing, and I hope that the whole materials thing didn’t ruin the experience for you and your team.

Posted by Justin Howard.

Coach on team #1, Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center - Northeast and 3 Dimensional Services.

Posted on 11/21/2000 7:42 AM MST

First, David, congratulations of your team coming in 6th place. It’s good to see teams accomplish high rankings. Secondly, one thing the Juggernauts don’t do purposely is us any material that is illegal or go against rules in any competition. Now for your comment about our team using steel on our lift, the only material we used on our arm was aluminum. Our lift was painted true enough, but it was painted aluminum. I’m sorry to say that you were mistaking when you assumed we used steel. The most important thing about competition is what students get out of competition and I believe cheating is not what we want our kids to learn. So to clarify the coment made we only used angled aluminum.

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 11/21/2000 5:00 PM MST

First this topic should be on the CDI Forum. That is the appropriate location. Here is the response I gave there.

Several teams had to make changes due to use of steel. This oversight on their part was not intentional in any way. They were teams that competed last year and we allowed EMT as a additional material. This year we did not.
I know for a fact that team #1 replaced the material with materials I had in my shop that were legal material.

In fact they brought the use of EMT to the attention of our inspectors who after referring to the list verified the problem. Team #1 was a gracious professional at all times. There was no wrong intent.

As for not getting chosen and you were a high rank…
Teams were chosen because of several factors.

1. The attribute they could bring to the alliance to make it strong.
  2. Marketing by the team.
  3. Evaluation of performance and skill as viewed by the scouts.

At the Nationals last year I know of several VERY good if not GREAT teams that were not chosen that I feel should have but were not. This is a problem with alliances.