CD's Unofficial Caption Contest #885

Welcome to the eighteenth straight year of the Chief Delphi Unofficial Caption Contest! (Yes, this predates 3v3 play, Facebook losing the “the”, widespread smartphones, and a bunch of other signifiers that I’m old as heck.)

After the season-ending contest last week, here are the scores:

You        0

Instead, I give you the rules. (Other rules have been created, but these are the ones that see use.)

Normally, every entry gets an honorable mention worth two points because the old half-get-two-half-get-one format was a lot of work for basically zero difference. One particularly good zinger will receive the burn award and three points. Singles will be reserved for blatant copycat entries, things that cross “burn” into “okay chill dude”, or the truly incomprehensible. And don’t make me award a zero. (I think that’s happened once in 13 full years.)

There have been some updates to the rules over the years:

(“Working” gets a rather liberal interpretation, mind you.)

Since then, the only thing that’s changed is the deadline: Sunday at midnight Eastern, though entries posted afterward will count if they’re posted before I open the thread to score it.

Here’s this week’s picture:

Go!

The marketing department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation wonders desperately what they did to annoy the engineering department THIS time, and how they can make it up before–

–“3, 2, 1, GO!”

1 Like

The Avengers Technologists Civil War.

1 Like

5 years later and they are still waiting for the “Drivers, behind the line…”

Number one reason why the MC IS a key volunteer.

The ref panel says it all - “Waiting for the match to start” - as the MC is still trying to figure out how to pronounce all the defenses.

:musical_note:
Ready on the left!
Ready on the right!
Stand Up, Sit Down
Fight Fight Fight!

The Head Ref regrets eating the 12 atomic hot Buffalo Wings for lunch. This is the first time the Head Ref was penalized for delay of game.

2 Likes

“Wait, we did not have to build our robot with technology from the era?”

They can’t all have fun storming the castle, can they?

When you realize the Panelview HMIs used by the refs each retail for more than most of the robots on the field…

885’s BOM cost added up to $3,884. They decided to add a dollar more.

Attention in the pits… attention in the pits: we’ve just received word that the Christa McAuliffe coin is about to be available. Please rush from the venue to line up and get it and return when in hand.

:cricket::cricket::cricket:

Only one robot was following social distancing guidelines in this match.

…Mostly because it didn’t put on deodorant and scared off its alliance partners, but that still counts.

1 Like

Let’s get judgy!

First place goes to:

Second place goes to:

And the burn award goes to:

Which means the scores are:

jaredhk 10
quin 5
cgmv123 3
DonRotolo 2
GaryVoshol 2
EricH 2
rsisk 2
efoote868 2
Wayne Doenges 2
Osby 2
gellnick 2
Squirrel2412 2

Onward!

Look at that. All but 12 people are already out of the running for the perfect attendance award.

3 Likes