Celt-X 5406- Robot Reveal 2020

Celt-X is proud to present our 6th robot, “Mo”:

And here’s a reveal video by our brand new media team. This is such a great example of how we can keep learning new skills and producing awesome work even though we can only get together one 40 minute Zoom meeting at a time :slight_smile:

We continued to improve our design, manufacturing and programming skills this year, and I am confident this is our best robot yet! The team has made me extremely proud! If you’d like to learn more about the details, watch this great presentation by Andrew, Emma and Victoria with @Karthik on Today’s “First Canada Live” show:

Unfortunately our first event was cancelled on load-in day, so we have not yet been able to see Mo play in competition, but I hope we get to one day soon. In the meantime, we’ve really enjoyed all of the reveals that have come out during this period of isolation. It’s fun to compare how different teams solved the same problems, and it’s reassuring to know the community is still passionate and energized. So please keep sharing!

In that spirit, feel free to ask the team any questions you have here. Good luck in the (eventual) off season!

26 Likes

Nice climber system!

2 Likes

Thanks! It was significantly inspired by 111’s design after our original design (which was optimized for the buddy climb) ended up overweight. We had to make changes in order to make it work the way we wanted and fit it on our existing structure. I love the way it ended up making the robot look really alien!

1 Like

If you are sad we cut the Pop-Up shooter from our final design, check out team 7558’s robot in the second half of the FIRST Canada Live episode. Now that’s a cool pop-up!

4 Likes

#tallandshortbotgang

1 Like

Amazing robot!
A few questions:

• What material are you using for the polybelt pullies?

• Have you had any issues with belts slipping while feeding?

Our orange belts are made from polyurethane.
The belts are wrapped around custom 3d printed pulleys that have a curve that the belts wrap around keeping them on. Have not had many issues with them.

1 Like

Love the couch cushion

2 Likes

Yay, virtual double reverse 4 bar! I wanted to do one of these for climbing because they’re cool but got some weird looks the moment I uttered that set of words.

1 Like

From what I understand this isn’t a virtual double reverse but only a virtual four bar.

1 Like

It virtually (with chain) creates the motion that you’d see with a double reverse 4 bar.

this is a virtual 4 bar (note the sprocket sizes on the chain are the same)

Note that Celt-X’s sprocket sizes are different, creating the reversing action.

1 Like

I prefer the term “chain bar linkage”, but there’s more names for linkages than there are linkages :slight_smile:

@ThaddeusMaximus is right, there’s a 48 tooth sprocket fixed to the frame upright. the upper arm is connected to a 22 tooth sprocket, so that it rotates a little more than twice as fast as the lower arm. The combination causes the hook end to go up in a mostly straight line (actually the mechanism is designed to move the hooks towards the rung a little as they’re lowered)

4 Likes

This is totally semantic, but the motion is similar to that created by a non-parallel 4 bar mechanism. Similarly, it seems to me that the defining feature of the double reverse 4 bar is that the end effector stays parallel to ground (thus the “double” 4 bar). Additionally there is no rule that a virtual 4 bar has to have identical sprocket sizes.

Something along the lines of “virtual (single) reverse 4 bar” or “chain bar linkage” seem like far more accurate classifications, but the distinction doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes