Central Illinois Regional 2022 - Insane for yet another year

After half a day of quals matches I am floored.
The caliber of auto routines and other match play (few upper hub bounce outs for example) is nuts, and it not a huge regional. Most of these teams are seeing the field for the first time in 2 years.

Not to mention:
Q11 - 111 pt match
Q18 - triple trav climb
Q19 - 129 pt match

Smh

22 Likes

Easily the most competitive event I’ve seen so far… by a mile. This game is insanely fun to watch!

9 Likes

It is crazy to see how competitive it is. How about the climb on 2481 though! WOW!

4 Likes

It’s very competitive—111 and 1756 are exceptional, 2338 would have steamrolled through the competition at many other events, 2451 has a 5 ball auto, and we have a very wide and capable mid tier that has in combination won matches against several of the top robots.

8 Likes

FMS is back up! Before we had to engage Macarana 10 hour edit! Huzzah!

1 Like

Back down again :frowning:

2 Likes

Thbbbbttbtbtbtbrbtbtbr

2 Likes

:musical_score:jeopardy music :musical_note:

2 Likes

Match 68 just set a new world record for most total cargo scored in a match (red and blue alliance combined)

12 Likes

This was also the combined world high score also. Previously was 194.

4 Likes

This event is a joy to watch - super high level all around- gets me pumped up for ISR #3 next week!

4 Likes

Tiebreaker after tiebreaker …

1 Like

No kidding, and actually tied matches!

What year is it?!? 2017?

3 Likes

All I can say is wow. Good competition to all teams involved.

6 Likes

The 8th highest OPR at the event was 30.5. That ranks first among 60 completed events this year (no other event was above 25.2). The difference between Central Illinois and the 2nd most competitive event is as much as the difference between 2nd and 27th!

Source: statbotics.io/completed_events

10 Likes

The wildest finals I have been a part of in a long time. The defense at this event was crazy, probably the hardest hitting I have seen since 2014. I think all 6 robots had something break or something to fix during elims/finals. Each break was a race to try and limp through the next match.

Congrats to the #1 alliance. The 111 bot is so slick and so well driven, and the traversal was super consistent. I think 1756 has the potential to be a top shooter the entire year and with their turret/swerve mix if they start getting some shooting while moving working, they could really be scary.

Thanks to 2481 for picking us, despite us having some climbing inconsistency throughout qualifications. Was super fun to go through the roller coaster that was this afternoon.

Overall, really great to see Illinois looking so strong and deep! This event was not just top heavy but almost every robot was contributing each qualification match.

Excited to see how our remaining events play out.

16 Likes

How did bumpers across the event hold up under def? Most of what I saw was low speed stuff, so probably fine, just curious.

1 Like

Bumpers were pretty good, I only remember seeing 1 or 2 dislodged. Probably the safest component. Intakes and drives and climbers all took some hard hits.

Definitely felt like I was watching 2014-esque defense, especially in the 1v8 quarterfinal. Holy moly.

3 Likes

Any instances of teams popping significant wheelies and getting stuck on other bots during defense?

2 Likes

Nothing I remember that was card-worthy, at least until QF1-2.

1756 popped up when they crossed the cable guard and that is how 4096 got under them and took the damage that drew a yellow, at least as best as I can tell. Not much you can do about that one.

Don’t think there were any cards in quals.

6 Likes