Chairman's Award and Woodie Flowers Award Help

I’m happy to offer Chairman’s Award and Woodie Flowers Award submission assistance for the 2008 season for any FRC student participant who would like someone to help review their work. After working with FRC and FVC/FTC teams for the last six years, I’ve I’ve worked with several teams in the past to edit their work, and many have had their mentor recognized for the WFA or won a regional Chairman’s Award in the past.

All you have to do is send me a Microsoft Word copy of your award submission for the 2008 season. Send me a private message here on CD, and I’ll send along my email address. That’s all! I’ll send back an edited copy with my suggestions and advice.

Here’s what you need to know:

• The confidentiality of your submission will be kept. I will not share the entries with anyone.
  • I will have your submission back to you within 24 hours (if not immediately), or warn you in advance if it will be longer.
  • I will edit and re-edit as many entries as you would like.
  • I will make suggestions, offer advice, and edit basic grammatical errors. You must write the actual content for the submission yourself.
  • I will give you tips and advice on how to write for FIRST judges, and how to better represent your team.

Check out this thread for more information.

Best wishes to all of you submitting for these awards this season.
Amanda

Wow, what a generous offer, Amanda!
I’m going to ask my team if they’re interested in this, but if they’re not, I’ll definitely send our new NJ rookies your way!

I agree. I might have to take you up on that offer. We’re starting soon so I will probably be in contact within the next week.

That would be quite helpful, being my first year of doing the awards on my team I was wondering if I may find some one to help me along with the awards.

thats such a great offer thanks!

this year im on a rookie team and i was wonder about the rookie award

do u have to do a essay or can u do a different type of display
like a powerpoint or a multimedia presentation???

Rookie All-Star or Rookie Inspiration? No essay is required for either, but a Chairman’s Award entry is strongly recommended for All-Star. (See Section 5 of the Manual for the requirements for all the awards.)

…and if you buy her donuts with sprinkles and ask her after 10 am, she’ll have it done in 10 minutes :wink: … Woohoo, good to have the Morrison help for teams again!

Just a reminder for rookies that whatever they prepare will need to be shown or handed to judges in the pits. They will not see your entry otherwise.

Great offer by Amanda!

Just a reminder…

If you haven’t already gone on FIRSTawards.org to create your team’s account for award submissions, do it NOW. FIRST is generally intolerant to submission errors, so if you’re attempting to submit right at the deadline and have a problem (even if you think it is a website problem), it is your tough luck for not doing it sooner. Please don’t waste your team’s hard work - register now!

Website Award submissions are due on FIRSTawards.org on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008 at 11:59 pm. (If you would like me to review your website for spelling or grammar mistakes, I’d be more than happy to do so.)

Chairman’s, Woodie Flowers Award, and Hall of Fame entries are due on FIRSTawards.org on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008 at 11:59 pm. (About 9 days left!) Send me your rough drafts and I’ll get them back to you within 24 hours… if you’re lucky, well within 12. Don’t wait until it’s too late!

Good luck!

For the Chairman’s Award, are there any key points that judges really look for or does it matter on what type of judge you get? Just wondering.

I was recently put on helping with the Chairman’s award and it is somewhat harder to try and write it not knowing what the judges expect.

Thanks.
btw, this is really helpful that you are taking the time to do this.

Hi there,

The best advice I can give is to review the Awards section of this year’s game manual. Reread the specific information about the Chairman’s Award, and highlight some passages or important key phrases that you feel really describe the Chairman’s Award.

Write those out and put them in front of you. How does your team relate to these keywords? What has your team done to show that they exemplify these criteria?

The source is always the best place to start. I highly recommend that if you’re just getting going.

Best wishes,
Amanda

What’s up with due dates? It is confusing because you say that the
online award entries are due February 14, but then you say that the
Chairman’s and other awards are do the 21.:confused:

It can be confusing and is important to keep track of.
Check the calendar of important dates under the Awards Submissions section.
http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=454

Today is one deadline - the Website Design.
The Autodesk Visualization Award is due tomorrow.
Then other deadlines follow including Chairman’s.

Another Mr. T here,
We’re a rookie team - we finished cranking out the website and submitted before the deadline last night. What we were trying to figure out is if we are allowed to continue working on it. We already noticed at least one typo. Happy to leave it be if it really is the “deadline”, but if other teams are still working on theirs, we have some more stuff to add once the build is over.
Thanks in advance.

FIRST can’t really prevent you from working on the website. I suggest you go ahead and make those edits as quickly as possible, but beware of making any major changes. Since your website could be in judging as we speak, what might happen is 2 different judges see two different sites. Then you end up with very inconsistent scores.

Even worse is if your website is down when you’re loading updates, just when a judge goes to look at it.

do you need to include a title with your chairman’s award at submission:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

No. Unless it is a critical part of your award submission, I would save the characters. If you have the extra characters, and have something catchy as a title, then go for it.

Again, if you want to see MOE’s winning CA entry from 2007, it is on our website at http://www.fsrobotics.org/moe365//chairmans.php
The title was added later fwhen we formatted the entry for posting.

P.S. Our site is a little misleading - we only used three of the posters at the Chairman’s presentation. The others were in the pit.

Just a warning:

I’m already getting a bunch of WFA and Chairman’s essays and am trying to churn them out as fast as I get them.

With the deadline looming, please send them to me ASAP if you want them looked over. I’ll try to give you as much time as possible to re-edit if necessary.

Best wishes,
Amanda

what about woodie flowers