Champ Divisions?

Is there a known method to assigning Championship divisions or is it just a random thing?
Just wondering how stacked Divisions could possibly be or if there is some balancing mechanism…

2 Likes

Section 11.9 of the game manual details the process.

4 Likes

If I remember in the past, they usually assigned as people earned entrance to champs. Also trying to kind of break up alliances.
(This is what I heard years ago, others may be able to correct me or provide better insight.)

2 Likes

More curious about when, personally.

12 Likes

next thursday, to really keep everyone on their toes.

5 Likes

Is this a joke or is it really going to be that late?

4 Likes

Joke, though dont be shocked if it comes out late tues/wed.

Schedules can be as late as the start of quals though, since they rely on the teams being there.

There are still district championships happening this week, notably FiM, so I’d imagine they have to wait until the team list is finalized.

2 Likes

Don’t they section the pits based on divisions though? Would they really wait that long to release info?

teams are still qualifying this weekend and usually have until the Tuesday after their event to register and pay for champs. So if that holds true I would wager Tuesday night for division assignments.

3 Likes

Waaaaay back in the day (as you know), they released partial divisions.

Partial divisions this Weds/Thurs that get updated through next Tuesday seems best for everyone.

Considering load in is next Weds, even Tues night seems rough for venue!

We’ll see what actually happens.

4 Likes

You have it easy, could be FIM assigning divisions at load-in.

4 Likes

Is that really what happens?

It’s not supposed to happen like that…

IIRC 2019 wasn’t convenient for teams.

2 Likes

you all have it easy our district championship (NE) ends on the 16. Any teams the qualifies for worlds would have 2 days to figure out the logistics of getting down there. the lucky teams who are pretty much locks to qualify have it easy the ones who are on the edge have big decisions to make immediately fallowing the conclusion of NEDCMP

2 Likes

In 2002 through 2004 the divisions were released the Tuesday 9 days before the beginning of the championship. That ended up ranging anywhere from before the last regional ended (2003) to 10 days after the last regional ended (2002).

In 2005, the divisions were released on a Monday, 10 days before the beginning of the championship (9 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2006, the divisions were released on a Friday, 13 days before the beginning of the championship (13 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2007-2009, the divisions were released on a Wednesday, 8 days before the beginning of the championship (3-4 days after the end of the last regionals).

In 2010, the divisions were released on a Thursday, 7 days before the beginning of the championship (4 days after the end of the last regionals)

In 2011, the divisions were released on a Friday, 13 days before the beginning of the championship (6 days after the end of the last regionals)

In 2012-2015, the divisions were released on a Wednesday, 8 days before the beginning of the championship (4 days after the end of the district championships).

In 2016, the divisions were released on a Friday, 6 days before the beginning of the championship (6 days after the end of the district championships).

In 2017, divisions were released on Wednesdays, 8 days before the beginning of the championship (4 days after the end of the previous week events).

In 2018 and 2019, divisions were released on a Friday, 6 days before the beginning of the championship (6 days after the end of the previous week events).

In 2020 and 2021, no divisions were announced.

10 Likes

I definitely remember divisions being posted as we were driving to Saginaw on Wednesday in 2019. However, that doesn’t narrow the time of day down much as we have an ~8 hour drive :wink:

1 Like

This is the first time in recent years that teams are still qualifying a week before Champs. In the recent past week 7 qualifiers were qualifying for Detroit which was two weeks later. They actually released preliminary match schedules the week prior to 1/2 champs.

1 Like

Ask me two days from now. I’m driving over Wednesday with some of our team; the caravan will include four cars and our trailer.

As Skyehawk says, 2019 was less than totally convenient. IIRC, we found out which FiM division we were in some time after starting the drive across Michigan. At least we knew where to go at load in. But yeah, ya kinda have to scout the whole FiM district in advance, if you want good data. Wednesday night at the hotel is not a relaxing time for strategy teams.

3 Likes

In 2022, divisions will be announced on a Sunday, one day after the conclusion of the event.

10 Likes