Champinship Event in Canada

how many of you guys love to have a champinship event in Canada?

hehe… if it was Ontario or Toronto or Montreal or somewhere in between I’d love it… heck of a lot closer for me!

Dont! mean to sound selfish. BUT, BRING IT BACK TO FLORIDA!

Do you mean a seperate championship? Or just have the championship in Canada?

It would probably be an inconvenient location for a lot of teams. I wouldn’t mind it, though :wink:

I think Toronto is the best place to hold the champinship event because it is close to US, large city and close to my house :slight_smile:

I think it would be a cool idea, BUT, now almost every team would have to make some kind of border crossing, and that takes HUGE amounts of time to cross with a lot of people, not to mention lots of boxes of tools and supplies, flying is expensive as well…not to mention the currency change.

There are so many reasons why this wouldn’t, and shouldn’t happen. But the fundamental ones are non-centralized placement, the fact that it’s in another country, that there aren’t as many teams nearby, that nearly everyone would have to go through customs, that everything would cost more, that there’d be no place to put everything, that it’s too cold, and that something formerly called ‘Nationals’ would never go international. There are about two gazillion more reasons too. Come on…

Besides, I’d much rather travel to Florida, Houston, or Atlanta. :cool:

It would be neat to have something close to home, but trust me, you guys from down south do not want to come up here in April, after already having a few months of warm weather. In Montreal, it actually snowed in May for a day or so.

I would not mind. The weather in toronto in April is actually sometimes better than it is here as we found out this year at the Canadian Regional. I’d not mind the change to toronto at all… only a 5 hour drive for us and the customs people are fine as long as you PREPARE.

*Originally posted by Patfair *
** In Montreal, it actually snowed in May for a day or so. **

Pfft… no biggie… several 4th of July weekends just in my life time, we have been put under State of Emergencys and Winter Advisories for hail storms; and power outages due to the ice. :slight_smile: Still stand with my decision, we have a place in Cobden, ON… I love the country… and I have never had a problem crossing the border.

p.s. hehe… only person I know who had trouble crossing the border - my Aunt… the only ID she had on her was her FBI badge and they said it wasn’t sufficient! :smiley:

Unfortunately for our neighbors to the north (or to the south if you’re in Detroit), the vast majority of FIRST teams are from the States. While Canada is a nice place to visit, trying to take a robot and gear, plus a good sized group of students across the border is a daunting task, and would be unpractical. I do believe, however, that there should be more regionals held in Canada.

I agree, more regionals would be nice, but if we were to get another one it would probably still be somewhere close to Toronto since that is where the vast majority of teams is located. There are only two teams in Montreal and one in Labrador, so it would just be the same teams attending. Unless, of course, we can get more teams started elsewhere…

The money exchange is a plus for the Americans. I believe that something could be worked out with customs and shipping. But alas the next 3 years in Atlanta. I love warm weather.
BTW - rumour has it that they are looking for a second regional in Canada. I believe that it is out west. No teams in the area YET but look how many we got when we got the Canadian regional for the first time. We are still growing.

Most teams are from the United States…

Teams could not travel to Houston because of War and Terrorism fears thanks to the school boards.

School boards will NEVER allow their team to across border into Canada. Too much of a risk

As much as I love Canada, I say no…and it will never happen

*Originally posted by D.J. Fluck *
School boards will NEVER allow their team to across border into Canada.

Actually our Marching Band went to Toronto last year, so never say never.

*Originally posted by Steve W *
**rumour has it that they are looking for a second regional in Canada. I believe that it is out west. No teams in the area YET but look how many we got when we got the Canadian regional for the first time. We are still growing. **
Is that still going on? I thought Calgary was off… or is this elswhere?

Oh and don’t come to Toronto. With all that SARS and all. Pfft.

I thought it’s over. I see more people on the street than one month ago.

Err… I was kidding.

actually… lol… believe it or not… the toronto public school board…and some others i think that are also in ontario have had a moratorium on all international travel by any school. We had to finagle some special exemption for us to goto WMR = O

*Originally posted by DanLevin247 *
**I think it would be a cool idea, BUT, now almost every team would have to make some kind of border crossing, and that takes HUGE amounts of time to cross with a lot of people, not to mention lots of boxes of tools and supplies, flying is expensive as well…not to mention the currency change. **

I think that he hit it right on the mark here. As cool and as fun as it would be to have the overall event in Canada, most of the teams are in the US and border crossing would just be one big pain in the rear. I rememeber one border crossing experience from our team with a foreign exchange student who didnt have all of the proper papers… anyways, it would just all end up being way too big of a hassle. Cool idea though!!!