Championship Location Next Year

RUMOR has it that there are SIX locations bidding to host the FIRST Robotics CHAMPIONSHIPS next year. Of the six cities bidding which city would you prefer to visit for the Championships?

The content here may overlap with the content here.

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**The content here may overlap with the content here. **

“M” Thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

However the “Poll” you are referring to is a “Wish List” of locations, whereas this Poll is of the locations that are actually bidding on hosting the Championships. :wink:

I’m looking to see of the six cities that are bidding to actually host the Championships - which would you prefer
to go to. :stuck_out_tongue:

*Originally posted by Don Knight *
**“M” Thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

However the “Poll” you are referring to is a “Wish List” of locations, whereas this Poll is of the locations that are actually bidding on hosting the Championships. :wink:

I’m looking to see of the six cities that are bidding to actually host the Championships - which would you prefer
to go to. :stuck_out_tongue: **

Where did you get your information? How do you know that in fact, these are the only six cities up for consideration, or that they are all up for consideration at all.

BTW, where would you hold nats in Orlando if its not at EPCOT?

It’s the Rumor Mill… he’s not claiming that these are, in fact, the cities that are bidding to host the championship. He’s just throwing what he heard out there.

These, from what I’ve heard, are cities placing a bid for the Championships. I’m not sure about Missourri though, but that may have been added to the list.

At Disney the atmosphere was great! Houston was ok and could get better but I say Atlanta. I may be biased a little though. :slight_smile:

Let’s hear your thoughts.

I really enjoyed EPCOT. I would like to see it brought back there. If not, then I would say Houston again. The two were very nice places with very nice surroundings.

*Originally posted by Don Knight *
**“M” Thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

to go to. :stuck_out_tongue: **

But it’s still a wish list.

*Originally posted by Cory *
**Where did you get your information? How do you know that in fact, these are the only six cities up for consideration, or that they are all up for consideration at all.

BTW, where would you hold nats in Orlando if its not at EPCOT? **

Cory this is the “RUMOR MILL” but sometimes rumors have a way of working out to be factual.

Lets see… what other places in Orlando could you have the Championships ? - Universal Studios-Orlando, SeaWorld - Orlando just to name two.:wink:

But this raises the question, why do students join a FIRST Robotics Team, to go to a Theme Park, or participate in an unparalleled partnership and learning experience? :confused:

I think that it should be put in a different place every year. Personally I do not think Houston was that great. Maybe it was we were stuck in a hotel that we thought would be a lot nicer.

I do have to say the Arena was wonderful, and Houston did a very good job preparing the event.

I say as lond as the temp’s warm wherever it is, I don’t care.

Good Luck to everyone at the invatationals this year. Hope to see you guys at IRI.

Disney!!! I dunno it would be nice to see it come back to Florida, and if FIRST needs a stadium type thing they could always look into using the All Star stadium (I think that’s it name)…its really big. Just a thought. :yikes:

Where the heck could it be in Los Angeles? The Sports Arena, Arrowhead Pond, and Staples Center are all too small. The Convention Center is big enough but there is no place for the spectators. None of the theme parks really have places for events like this. Dodger Stadium is all I can think of that would work, but it’s outdoors. So, I don’t think it will be in LA.:frowning:

*Originally posted by Cory *
**Where did you get your information? How do you know that in fact, these are the only six cities up for consideration, or that they are all up for consideration at all.

BTW, where would you hold nats in Orlando if its not at EPCOT? **

Having met Don and knowing what he does, I would not doubt his information ;). Just assume it’s all true.

Trust me, you don’t want to be on Don’s bad side. He almost beat me up for doing that once :P. (Hehe, just kidding Don.)

The 6 locations seems to be relatively decent choices… We shall see what the people thinks.

*Originally posted by sanddrag *
**Where the heck could it be in Los Angeles? The Sports Arena, Arrowhead Pond, and Staples Center are all too small. The Convention Center is big enough but there is no place for the spectators. None of the theme parks really have places for events like this. Dodger Stadium is all I can think of that would work, but it’s outdoors. So, I don’t think it will be in LA.:frowning: **

Maybe the pits in the convention center, and the comp in the staples center, or, as M. Krass pointed out, why not the Anaheim convention center. Right next to Disney parks. Again, no spectator spots, though

*Originally posted by Ken L *
Having met Don and knowing what he does, I would not doubt his information ;). Just assume it’s all true.

I have heard this rumour also. I think this could be a big thing for FIRST now that cities are actually bidding for the championship. In the next few months it is going to be interesting to see what happens, but I won’t be suprised if it ends up back in Houston again.

I remember reading somewhere that Houston Has Nationals for at least the next 3 years.

*Originally posted by sanddrag *
**Where the heck could it be in Los Angeles? The Sports Arena, Arrowhead Pond, and Staples Center are all too small. The Convention Center is big enough but there is no place for the spectators. None of the theme parks really have places for events like this. Dodger Stadium is all I can think of that would work, but it’s outdoors. So, I don’t think it will be in LA.:frowning: **

At Epcot, they put up tents and raised seating for some arenas, but the biggest area was outdoors except for the robot playing field which was covered. Tents should work at many places in the LA Area, even Dodger Stadium. However my vote would be to talk to the people at Disneyland. I think they could whip up a dynamite venue, especially after getting a few tips from Walt Disney World. They might even co-ordinate with the Anaheim Convention Center.

Ooohh, I think it would be fun to have it in LA!! But that will probably never happen…I can’t imagine…but yeah, EPCOT was at the point where they knew how to run things smoothly and it was wonderful there…:’( I wanna go back. I dunno…perhaps Houston will become just as great–who knows??

I have heard some rumors that there is a three year lisence for Houston. I don’t know if anyone knows for sure though who is going to hold it next year. I say leave it to the experts back in Florida.

Good Luck to everyone at their invitationals

At work a few days ago, there was a lady wearing one of the 2001 anniversary shirts, so I told her I was in FIRST. Turns out she had the shirt because she works at Disney and helped out with it when it was at EPCOT. Then she went on to tell me that she was told it would be held at Disney’s Wild World of Sports next year. Of course, that’s only where it could potentially be… but it’s one of the top choices. It’s a really nice complex though, it’d be a great place for nats. It’s actually where I’m having my graduation… in six days… pwned.