Charmins Award Formats

Posted by Kyle Fenton at 2/2/2001 11:04 PM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

I disliked the decisions of this year and past years
not to have the Charmin’s Award in a computer
format. I mean, you can have an awesome
submission with interactive web pages and digital
movies. However according to the rules none of
this is allowed. We have to continue to stick with
the old VHS or make a paperback book.

I mean that rule really takes the fun out of “FOR
INSPIRORATION of TECHNOLOGY”

I mean when you convert it to VHS you get a lot of
down falls, like the resolution of the screen is only
512x385, Small Text is almost impossible to see
and It is almost impossible to center it right without
it cropping on the edges of the picture. So as a
result sometimes you have to compromise on your
presentation if you don’t have the fanciest
equipment to make a movie.

Especially with this new early deadline I have been
working all week with students to try to complete
this on time.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/3/2001 1:09 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: Charmins Award Formats
Posted by Kyle Fenton on 2/2/2001 11:04 PM EST:

if you’re just another team with a small budget, winning is almost impossible unless you came from an inner city school that almost shut down but FIRST sprung it back to life (like a movie or something).

my point is this, to win the chairmans award, your team has to be “perfect” and modeled to other teams. on the other hand, we have about 600 teams now and i bet at least 50 of the 600 are very good model teams.

now, how in the world can just 1 team win the chairmans award? just one award???

bah… dont bother, the team who’ll win it is that one with the most resources anyway. especially the one that can make a whole story for themselves based on what FIRST likes (spreading of first, yada yada yada).

anyone can do that. heck if i had a budget like other teams had, i’d make my team the best u can have (engineers, community service, robot construction, mentoring, the works). i’d love to lead a team to success, but it all comes down to money and resources.

-anton

ps. am i wrong? perhaps.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/3/2001 2:00 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: the dumb thing about this chairman thing.
Posted by Anton Abaya on 2/3/2001 1:09 AM EST:

i just have to say that i still support the chairmans award. but i just really wanted to say that it is rather proportional with the amount of money you have (or so i have noticed)…?

then again, i guess the more successful teams that have all the money deserve the spotlight to getting there.

the chairmans award is a good way to bring students together to make/realize what FIRST does to them and creating a presentation of the whole FIRST spirit and the team that they belong in.

all in all, the submission is great, the winner seemed to have struggled to take the trophy home… their success has been shown. now who’s to say there are teams out there who worked just as hard or EVEN harder but never had the equal opportunity to shine… (contacts, resources, etc…)… eh.

I admire winners of the award however. They are truly teams to look up to. perhaps jealously just plays a role…aye indeed.

-anton

Posted by Erin at 2/3/2001 2:32 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

isnt that the whole point of the chairman’s award anyway? being able to shine as a team? its like everything else in life, to shine, you need some funding. i think that it is a good concept that teams with a good budget get up there (and they also have good teams with good pr and good reasons as to why they should win normally) but it shows that your sponsor was involved with the team enough to dish out some dough first of all, and secondly it shows that your school was good enough to get a big sponsor like that. that is something worth recognizing isnt it? and isnt it the point of the chairman’s award?

i dont know, maybe im wrong…i believe even a small team did something so great could win it (i know one team that didnt have enormous funding that
got the finalist award based on things they did)…
ahh the confusion. in short i wish to say that the chairman’s award criteria has been set up by very smart people who outweigh most others in the intellectual field, and I do not doubt their judgement, nor do i doubt the credentials of teams that have one in the past. i think every one of them deserved it!! and they did a great job too!! now everybody else just has to aspire to make themselves the model team and go from there.

peace, love, and gracious professionalism
erin

Posted by Josh at 2/3/2001 4:48 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, Rambots, from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: Re: the dumb thing about this chairman thing.
Posted by Erin on 2/3/2001 2:32 PM EST:

The sad part is, that while any team might be able to produce a stellar movie, the winning team will be the one who can grind his lips into FIRST the most. What do i mean by that? i mean the winner will be the one that represents FIRST as almost this heavenly, perfect, life-saving competition. Most teams can’t do that because most teams are doing it for fun.

It’s like writing a term paper or college entrance essay. Sure there will be one or two kids who can actually fill in details because they’ve been through it, but most of us will either have to fail at it, or put in so many overexagerations and pure BS that it’ll be more of a lie than a representation. And there’s no point in failing, so we all know which one most teams will do…

Sorry, forgot to turn on the music so i’m in a not so lovely mood…hold please…

AHHH, that’s much better, The Doors…good stuff…

/me sings to self

When your strange, no one remembers your name
when your strange
when your strange…

Josh
Team 419
“YOUR FROM TEXAS?!..” -Full Metal Jacket

Posted by Becky Allen at 2/3/2001 10:12 PM EST

Other on team #356, The Enigma, from North Little Rock High School and Pulaski Academy and UALR/BEI/Controlled Automation/Hendrix College.

Anton,
I hate to tell you that there are numerous exceptions to the “money” aspect of the Chairman’s Award.
Before you judge, talk to other teams about their submissions.
Last year’s winner’s submission probably cost less than $5 to make.
And I know that last year’s winners did not have major funding. Did you know they raised way over $20,000?

Do you have to have an enormous budget to community service or mentoring? Last time I checked, no one charged me for volunteering.

I suppose the winner is the team that can “talk the talk and walk the walk”. But shoudn’t the winner be?

I don’t know, just my opinion. Before you go getting jealous of finalists or winners…ask people from those teams what they did to get them to that position. I know they will be happy to share. If you have any questions, I’d love to talk about it further.

However, as a side note, as FIRST grows, I do see a rising need for a more “Dean’s list” setting. I would still like to see an overall winner, but perhaps more finalists should be added. I think more than six teams out of 500 should be recognized.

Becky A

: if you’re just another team with a small budget, winning is almost impossible unless you came from an inner city school that almost shut down but FIRST sprung it back to life (like a movie or something).

: my point is this, to win the chairmans award, your team has to be “perfect” and modeled to other teams. on the other hand, we have about 600 teams now and i bet at least 50 of the 600 are very good model teams.

: now, how in the world can just 1 team win the chairmans award? just one award???

: bah… dont bother, the team who’ll win it is that one with the most resources anyway. especially the one that can make a whole story for themselves based on what FIRST likes (spreading of first, yada yada yada).

: anyone can do that. heck if i had a budget like other teams had, i’d make my team the best u can have (engineers, community service, robot construction, mentoring, the works). i’d love to lead a team to success, but it all comes down to money and resources.

: -anton

: ps. am i wrong? perhaps.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 2/4/2001 9:31 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Re: the dumb thing about this chairman thing.
Posted by Becky Allen on 2/3/2001 10:12 PM EST:

Well, what I think Anton is trying to get at (I dont know, but Im attempting anyway) is that the same teams are picked as finalists each year. These same teams are a.) not rookies and b.) have a large enough team to alott kids to it full-time.

Another factor, I personally think, is the judges. They’re the same people basically every year, which is sentimentally nice, but…gives an unfair advantage to the older teams. They’ve seen these teams grow through the years, and can remember what they did in years past, thus tying it into this years decision.
Plus, a younger team might have this “great idea” and try to sell the judges on it, but can’t because it was already done 3 years back.

I dont know, thats just my opinion on it…I searched and found the old posts on the “deans list”…and that sounds much more equal to all teams.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Erin at 2/3/2001 2:22 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Charmins Award Formats
Posted by Kyle Fenton on 2/2/2001 11:04 PM EST:

That was such a good subject I feel inspired.

I really think that if people can do 3d animations and make them into movies, then computer format should be allowed. Since not many people would actually do it that way, it should take away too much of the time. However, how would it calulate to take 15 minutes to preview the submission? If you did it all mpeg or something, then yeah- that would be cool- because you could use sweet software like ADOBE PRIMERE which rocks and then you wouldnt have to spend so much time, effort and money investing in an exporting device and tapes, etc…

wow, this was a good post and a subject i think needs to be addressed on a national FIRST level.

erin