I’m starting this thread to discuss rule change ideas for Chezy Champs, which Team 254 is hosting in September.
To align with Chezy Champs’ philosophy, potential rule changes should:
- Fix “broken” aspects of gameplay with minimally-invasive adjustments
- Reduce burden on referees by eliminating inconsequential rules or establishing less equivocal criteria
- Reduce team frustration
Potential rule changes should not:
- Make teams wish they’d designed a different robot
- Make it feel like a different game
- Require non-trivial changes to the field
Here are the potential, draft changes we’ve been contemplating so far:
- Raise the number of CARGO per alliance from 11 to 15 by making an additional preload available to each robot and staging one additional ALLIANCE colored CARGO in the TERMINAL closest to that ALLIANCE AREA. Rationale: Remove artificial constraints on CARGO scoring throughput at the highest levels of play.
- Eliminate the QUINTET; no change in CARGO BONUS ranking point threshold based on AUTO CARGO scoring. Rationale: Scoring more CARGO in AUTO is its own reward and the QUINTET did not have much impact during the regular season.
- Raise the CARGO BONUS ranking point threshold to 30. Rationale: The current threshold of 20 is too easy, especially with more CARGO being made available in proposal (1).
- Raise the HANGAR BONUS ranking point threshold to 20. Rationale: Require at least a TRAVERSAL RUNG plus a MID RUNG, or two HIGH RUNGS.
- Introduce a 5th “joker” ranking point for achieving either 40 scored CARGO or 40 HANGAR points (the term is borrowed from automotive racing). One RP is awarded if either or both conditions are met. Rationale: Leads to rankings that better reflect the strength of teams and alliances.
- Eliminate intake penalties (G204) that are not “match-affecting” (specific wording TBD). Rationale: Remove a significant source of randomness in match scores and relieve some of the burden on REFEREES.
- Allow HUMAN PLAYERS to enter CARGO during TELEOP in all of the same ways as they can during AUTO. Rationale: The TELEOP restrictions do not make a significant difference to match play and impose an additional burden on REFEREES.
- Run the playoff tournament as a round-robin of six alliances of four teams each, followed by a best-of-three final. Details TBD, but the tiebreakers would likely be head-to-head followed by total match points.
Thoughts or ideas? Particularly interested in hearing from referees about rules they wish they could have called differently.