I’m starting this thread to discuss realistic rule change ideas for Chezy Champs, which Team 254 is hosting in September. This is not the place in which to throw around radical, game-changing ideas – that thread is here.
Potential rule changes should:
- Fix “broken” aspects of gameplay with minimally-invasive adjustments
- Reduce burden on referees by eliminating inconsequential rules or establishing less equivocal criteria
- Reduce team frustration
Potential rule changes should not:
- Make teams wish they’d designed a different robot
- Significantly alter game dynamics or point values
- Require non-trivial changes to the field
Here are the ideas we’ve been working with so far:
- Change the rocket RP definition to still require L1, L2, and L3 to be completed, but the levels can be split between the two rockets. Rationale: Takes absolute control of whether a team earns the RP away from a defending opponent.
- Eliminate R6 and G6 (throwing of hatch panels). Rationale: Violations provide no strategic advantage and any safety considerations are covered by other rules.
- Eliminate G12 (hab zone height limit). Rationale: Violations provide no strategic advantage and any field damage or safety considerations are covered by other rules.
Thoughts or ideas? Particularly interested in hearing from referees about rules they wish they could have called differently.