chiaphua gear cluster

do any of you remember the number of teeth that was on the cluster gear for the chiaphua motor

8 but this year the Chiapuha has a shaft not teeth why do ask?

no, the chippy output was 8, the cluster was 32 (or 25, or somewhere around there)

You may be able to find it in last year’s kit details here.
http://www2.usfirst.org/2002comp/kit_p_hlist.pdf Warning very large file.

sanddrag, no it doesn’t list it on the file, but thanks anyway…but do you think we will be able to order that cluster gear from the Chiaphua company again, or do you think it was customly designed for last year’s competition?

The 2002 Chiaphua output shaft have 9 teeth. The cluster gear has 44 teeth on the input side, and 16 on the output side. The motor output shaft and input side of the cluster are some strange pitch size that I don’t remember (I have the motor in front of me, but don’t have my tooth guages with me). The output side of the cluster is 32 pitch, 1/2" face width.

Hope that helps.

-dave

Y + AX^2 + B… ehhh, whatever.

dlavery, yeah it will help a lot, thanks, if I can’t find a place that have them in stock, but would you guys know where I can get those clusters again?? like from the Chiaphua company or something like that?

*Originally posted by The wheelman *
**8 but this year the Chiapuha has a shaft not teeth why do ask? **

That’s right. The output shaft on this year’s CIM motor is a keyed shaft and not that weird gear last year. It will be illegal to use last year’s chiaphua motor with the gear cluster on your robot this year.

why wouldn’t you be able to use the gear cluster from last year, isn’t it just a normal gear? and you’re allow to use last year’s Chiaphua motor according to the team update #2

My mistake then.

However, the gear cluster was a huge pain to use last year. You might be better off with this year’s keyed output shaft.

Ken L, that’s alright…yeah I know there sort of a pain, but we bought two extra from last years, and for some reason we feel like last year’s one is more powerful…plus we’re planning to use a similar gear shifting design posted by dlavery for team #116 :slight_smile:

so anyway, do you guys think I would be able to get the gear clusters from CIM again?

yeah I know there sort of a pain, but we bought two extra from last years, and for some reason we feel like last year’s one is more powerful

Hey, send one of those my way! :wink: We’re using the cluster gear from last year too, and need a few of them. Anyway, I’ve got a question for all of you - what model is the Atwood Mobile jack that the CIM/cluster gear came from? I can’t remember (and yes, I tried searching but did not find anything.) Thanks :slight_smile:

• Katie

Katie, we should help each other than LOL, because I have no luck in finding those gear clusters yet, apparently the guy that designed the chiaphua motor last year, and probably the gear cluster that came with it as well, left the chiaphua company so we can’t get any help from Chiaphua company. I think we might just need to use the specs that dlavery gave us and have it customly made

Antonio

From what I’ve found, in order to get the actual cluster gear … you have to buy the actual jack it comes in. So far the cheapest I have found the jack is $177 … but that’s a lot to pay for a little cluster gear! :eek: I’ll keep in touch if I find anything else out.

• Katie

how do you do that?

because if worse comes to worse I guess we can buy it if it is necessary

Try Southwest Wheel on the web.
Jack complete for $212 shipping included.:]

We wound up ordering two for $185 apiece (free shipping too! ;)) If you need to know where we got them from, I can post a link tomorrow morning. Let me know :slight_smile:

• Katie

*Originally posted by Katie Reynolds *
**We wound up ordering two for $185 apiece (free shipping too! ;)) If you need to know where we got them from, I can post a link tomorrow morning. Let me know :slight_smile:

• Katie **

Wow, you must need them incredibly bad to buy two jacks just to get the gear cluster.

Here at S.P.A.M. we machine parts to assemble our own gear clusters. We have to as the great Gary Jones (chief designer of all our gearboxes and from what’ve been told instrumental in several Pratt & Whitney Engine designs) who contsantly generates a new gearbox type and then condenses it so its smaller than the year before and lighter (which helps with a 130 pound robot weight limit…not to mention shrinking weight budgets for certain components). You just might want to order the gears and manufacture the clusters yourself (if you haven’t ordered them yet). It might be cheaper…oh and shear pins stink in regards to gearboxes…especially due to the various loads/forces that are put upon the shafts and gears themselves. That’s why Gary, James, and I spent the first six hours (unfortunately I guess right on the time it would take to fix the gearbox…thank you my friends for being so understanding) of the 2002 Championship, from 7:00am-1:00pm, fixing it…and then we had to repair the gearbox (well one) between division and the championship finals. Shear pins as their name implies…shear. I believe this years design call for screws.

Katie, yes please could you post the link…right now we’re looking into a local gear store to see if they have those two different gears in stock and putting those together, but we don’t know how expensive that might be, so we’ll see how it is tomorrow :wink: