Chief Delphi 47

Posted by Michael Martus at 2/19/2001 11:53 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Here is a close up of the CD6 machine.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/20/2001 12:30 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: Chief Delphi 47
Posted by Michael Martus on 2/19/2001 11:53 PM EST:

: Here is a close up of the CD6 machine.

looks like a beauty to me… :slight_smile:

-anton

Posted by Raul at 2/20/2001 10:06 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: Chief Delphi 47
Posted by Michael Martus on 2/19/2001 11:53 PM EST:

Very Nice. What I really am curious about is the size of your wheels. It is hard to tell from any of the pictures just what size they are.

Raul

Posted by Adam Krajewski at 2/20/2001 10:52 AM EST

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from Michigan Tech and Houghton Area Schools and Meritor Automotive.

In Reply to: Re: Chief Delphi 47
Posted by Raul on 2/20/2001 10:06 AM EST:

I was thinking the exact same thing…

Adam

Posted by Dan at 2/20/2001 1:06 PM EST

Other on team - from Carnegie Mellon sponsored by -.

I’ve got good money (or is it Mountain Dew you trade here?) that says CD6 doesn’t have wheels rather it has a triangular tread on each of the four pods. That bottom bolt is too low for it to be a wheel axle and the treads would help climb the barrier while keeping CD6 “millimeters” from the bar.
Groovy robot as always. I’m just wondering where the slick carbon fiber skirts are?
Dan

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/20/2001 6:32 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Well, as everyone said, CD6 isn’t going to be using wheels this year. But I am willing to go even further to say that CD6 have a much more advance drive train then any other tank tread system out there.

It looks like those triangle shape object on the base is what the tread wrap around. You can already see some sort of tread material showing up around the outside of the left triangle. It is my guess that those triangle objects will be able to rotate into a different, therefore changing the radius of rotation of the treads when contacting the field.

What do that mean? Well, because they can change the radius of rotation, their speed of the tread will be different when pushing against the field. Sometimes they can run really slow for more torque, other times they can go really fast. Amazing¡K A while ago Joe J. said that maybe they should look into gear shifting mechanism. Well, doesn¡¦t seem like that necessary anymore. No wonder he said earlier that they will not be shifting gear. Seems like they found a different solution for the same problem, if not a better solution.

It seems like Chief Delphi have proven that they are the best of the best out there. I wonder how good it will look like in the actual competition.

Time will tell.