CHS Platter - Week 3 - G211

Let’s get right to it and address the elephant in the ARENA. As so conveniently laid out by someone who has way too much time on their hands to review all the match videos: 422’s style of play so far this season has been disappointing to say the least.

Their robot is stellar. They don’t need to play like this. After some questionable play Week 1 in Ashland, they continued in Portsmouth. We refrained from commenting on this last week in hopes that their play style would calm down for Week 2. It didn’t, and it deserves attention.

In Q5 at Portsmouth 422’s alliance was leading 34-0 with 30 seconds to go before needlessly pushing 6882 from midfield into the blue Stage. This was a clear violation of G211, made even more explicit with the additional Blue Box comment added in Team Update 17.

We don’t mean to steamroll 422. The actions of some do not define the team. We’re not going to review every instance of questionable play. We know some of you will respond “It’s part of the game, it’s allowed in the rules.” and that is fine, we can agree to disagree. The list is linked above so that you can decide for yourself. Opinions are like, well, everyone has one. Here is ours:

Foul farming is not an acceptable strategy, whether it be a primary or backup strategy. Foul farming is not a part of playing good defense. Fouls should, in most cases, happen incidentally. Playing good defense is about getting in the way and slowing your opponent down. Good defense is not about shoving your opponents into a position where you can then force them into a foul.

This is not the “Good Stuff” that Woodie was talking about. Remember the people on the opposite side of the glass. Remember your Gracious Professionalism.

Disclaimer: Although we have often written from the viewpoint of Blue Cheese, this account is not associated with any 1086 members, past or present, and our statements do not reflect the views of Blue Cheese.

Portsmouth Recap:

Assisted by “strategy”, 422 went undefeated again and this time locked up the 1st seed with a 6 RP advantage over 2nd rank 2363. 422 picked up 3rd seed 346 and rounded out the alliance with 3359. After a near loss in Playoff 7, the 1st seed alliance went undefeated through the playoffs picking up the win against the 2nd seed alliance of 2363, 5549, and 2988.

Take Note:

• This was the first event to utilize the Small Event Exceptions as stated in the Tournament rules. There were only seven alliances. The fake 8th seed alliance managed to score two points in both of their matches.
  • 3359 picked up a Blue Banner at the event they host. Very cool.
  • 2363 ranked 2nd with an Amp/Trap bot. Now that is Good Stuff.

Glen Allen

Number of Registered Teams: 30
TBA page: CHS District Glen Allen VA Event (2024) - The Blue Alliance
Livestream:

CHSyness: 11.90
Number of Swerves: 23+
Predicted Winning Alliance: 346, 5804, 617

The Favorites:

346 - Ranking 3rd and picking up the win last week in Portsmouth, the RoboHawks are back with their best robot since 2019. Their Trap capability will push them towards the top of the rankings again this week.

5804 - TORCH also ranked 3rd at their first event and made it to finals. With improved autos and outstanding amp capabilities they’re a heavy favorite for a second trip to the finals.

Others to watch for:

1086 - Of course you need to watch out for the cheesiest team in the district at our home event. If you ignore the whole tearing up the carpet incident in Blacksburg that knocked us into the lower bracket from the jump, Blue Cheese had a grate event ranking 5th and leading the 4th alliance to a 3rd place finish.

4472 - SuperNOVA has kept their robot mostly secret but has shown a powerful shooter and a well packaged swerve drive. Expect them to be in the running for the event win.

Severn

Number of Registered Teams: 37
TBA page: CHS District Severn MD Event (2024) - The Blue Alliance
Livestream:

CHSyness: 10.72
Number of Swerves: 28+
Predicted Winning Alliance: 9072, 1727, 2914

The Favorites:

1629 - Garrett Coalition comes into this event with a week off after a strong performance Week 1 in Blacksburg where they ranked 2nd, and is one of only a few teams appearing in Severn to have a full event under their belt.

1727 - Last year’s District Championship runners up are looking to start their season with a bang. REX’s shooter on elevator design lets them shoot over blocker walls and makes them an effective Amp robot but we’re not yet sure if their trap mechanism will work as intended.

9072 - With a 23 ft/s swerve TigerBots are probably the fastest team in the district. Thanks to a five note auto, lots of full field driver practice, and an effective design they might be THE team to beat at this event.

Others to watch for:

614 - With a solid under bumper intake Quokkas design shown at the Week 0 event, strong software could carry the Night Hawks to the next level.

888 - In spite of the questionable decision to mount their PDH on their arm, Robotiators have shown solid Note shooting and are working on a 4-piece autonomous routine. They’ve had extra time to prepare for their first event, but are they ready?

10 Likes

Teasers might be on the way

Hmm 2890 might have something to say again this week in Glen Allen…

1 Like

we came in 3rd running with three wheels. This weekend should be fun. :slight_smile:

psst, I TOLD YOU to say that. Seriously, why doesn’t my team listen to me?

1 Like

1629 is packed up and ready to head to Severn. Lots of reliability upgrades, a plethora of new auto modes including a variety of 4 note autos, and some more automation to make speaker and amp cycles even faster. Cant wait to see all of our Maryland buddies this weekend!

4 Likes

was that really necessary

11 Likes

Going after 422 is really uneeded after they’ve apolgized multiple times. It’s a shame, I expected better from CHS Platter.

17 Likes

Going after 422 in that manner especially from this account is very disappointing. They were an excellent team to play with/against and had improved over those two weeks. Very unnecessary critiques and just shows the opposite of GP :confused:

18 Likes

Bad look. Y’all just sound bitter.

6 Likes

Alright alright let’s not try to start another arguement about GP and whatnot, we already have enough of those. @CHS_Platter I assume you’ll want to apologize to keep the masses happy (I’d say you were a tad harsh if 422 apologized but no biggie). Everyone else, let’s not hound on CHS platter and let’s use this topic for its actual purpose. Deep breaths everyone.

Edit: Y’all I do not support shaming 422, especially since it seems like they did a thorough apology (I haven’t read it so I’m going off of other posts). I just don’t see the need to shift this topic’s purpose.

1 Like

Just to justify our decision for the arm mounted PDH, we had no space and I made the mistake of jokingly saying to mount it there and it stuck… literally. We are all eager to jump in and compete after such a long wait!

6 Likes

Portsmouth was a great event! It was beyond our wildest expectations. Thank you to the hosts for organizing it, and thank you to our alliance partners 2363 and 2988 for helping us get our first finalist appearance as a first pick!

6 Likes

Disclaimer:

I’m an overly opinionated millennial yapping about an event I didn’t attend but I want to offer a different sort of Portsmouth recap.

Before week 2 FIRST Chesapeake sent an email with updates about the FRC season and one specific part stuck out to me:

As we gear up for Week 2 in Portsmouth […] to be equitable, we will only be playing 12 matches per team.

I wanted to understand the equity implications so I asked about it and was told that the decision was based on:

Team stress, both on the robot and the people. By running more matches, teams have a shorter turn around which can lead to increased damage to the robot. Damage that could otherwise be prevented with adequate time. I know that the time crunch is part of the competition factor. But that means that teams at larger events would have an advantage because they have more time at events to fix their robots

Leaving aside if equity is the right word here, I understand the rationale of expanding the Portsmouth match cycle time to give teams at a small event roughly the same amount of time between matches that they’d get at a larger event.

That did not happen.

Portsmouth teams were held to a tighter pace than Blacksburg while also getting four fewer matches per team.

Because there were so few teams and the same match cycle time was held to as a full size event there ended up being unused time that was reallocated to give teams one more practice match each (:tada:) or completely removed from the schedule by changing when the event started and ended on Sunday.

Here’s the published schedule from the CHS website:

And the updated schedule from the event:

While one more practice match and giving teams a later start and and earlier end are nice, changing the schedule day of like this can be frustrating for parents, sponsors or other team stakeholders who might try to watch the event but don’t know that the schedule is shifted. It’s an added logistical burden on teams to make sure everyone is informed of the updated schedule.

So what could we have done instead?

To give the 23 VAPOR teams 12 matches each we need 46 qualification matches. If we use the 10 hours allocated to qualification matches from the published Portsmouth schedule the event could have run 12 minute cycle time which would have put the time between each team’s matches at about the same as a full size event:

I hope that we don’t have events this small in CHS in the future, Blacksburg and Portsmouth were both overly reminiscent of the frenetic pacing of the 2022 small events. If for whatever reason we do have small events in the future I hope CHS staff and volunteers will re-evaluate how to best modify the event and opt for a longer match cycle time.

27 Likes

Your yapping remains an enourmous resource to the community!

2 Likes

Smaller regionals I’ve attended (2022 Heartland, 2023 Central Missouri - each with <30 teams) kept the cycle time the same but scheduled like 15-20 minute breaks in between in ‘round’ of qualification matches. I like this as it kept the excitement up between matches and left enough time to take actual breaks in the middle of the day.

5 Likes

This makes sense to me. At a full district event you would expect to play every 6-7 matches. At a small event like this you would expect to play no later than every 4th match. Give teams two match cycle times worth of breaks every 4 matches and the whole thing evens out.

1 Like

Who ever said 4472 was secretive? (Maybe just a little) https://youtu.be/EsIHXKfCMA4?si=Vq5tMXHOHJOdfr4y

1 Like

Did they give an explanation as to why Blacksburg had 16 qualification matches instead of 12?

With the block of time allotted for qualification matches, an 8 match turnaround for 25 teams gives each team 16 matches played. I personally thought it was very cool getting to play that many matches, even though we faced our fair share of reliability issues as a result. In the end, though, we ended up with a robot more robust than we started with, so I don’t mind too much.

1 Like

Like Rafi said, Blacksburg stuck to the HQ recommended (mandated?) match cycle time and added matches to fill the allotted time for quals matches so the event wouldn’t end early or have to shift the schedule.

In retrospect I think playing 13 or 14 matches per team and doing match round gaps as @XaulZan11 suggested would have been a happy medium.

2 Likes