CHS Platter - Week 4 - Cheese's Home Turf

Make that 6 regular season wins in a row for Triple Helix after picking up another number 1 seed and another win down in Portsmouth. 2363’s win streak dates back to their first event of the 2022 season. Picking up 5804 TORCH as the clear 1st pick and 539 Titan Robotics to round out the alliance, the top seeded alliance ran away with the event, going undefeated in the double elimination tournament.

Up in Alexandria where many matches were decided by penalty points, it was 8592 Newton2 running away with the show by dominating the cube game. 1727 REX also put on a dominant performance but with cones. Ultimately 8592 and 1727 paired together with a very sturdy 2421 RTR Team Robotics to march through the upper bracket for the win, leaving 8592 undefeated for the entire event.

Glen Allen

Maxed out at 40 team capacity, Glen Allen is shaping up to be a preview of District Championship level play with lots of heavy hitters. We’re hosting an official event on our home turf for the first time since 2019 and we hope you all have a grate time. Nearly every team attending already has one event of experience in the books, but many just competed in week 3 and haven’t had a ton of time for improvements.

Number of Registered Teams: 40 41???

TBA page: CHS District Glen Allen VA Event (2023) - The Blue Alliance
Livestream: Twitch
CHSyness: 12.92
Number of Swerves: 20
Predicted Winning Alliance: 5804, 401, 1793

The Favorites:

5804 (38.56) - Toppling over a couple times didn’t slow down TORCH in Portsmouth. A cross and balance auto along with speedy cycles kept them at the top of the rankings.

401 (36.41) - With two weeks to rest after their week 1 win at home, Copperhead has surely made improvements. Their multi-colored pivoting arm is so cool to watch as it picks up tipped cones and reorients them. CHSyness doesn’t show it, but 401 are the favorites here.

Others to watch for:

422 (18.54) - The Mech Tech Dragons upset the #1 alliance at Blacksburg before getting knocked out in the last round of the lower bracket. With electrical gremlins worked out, improved auto modes, and seriously fast cycling expect to see them in finals.

4472 (29.02) - Picking up cones from the single substation and placing them with their unfolding arm, SuperNOVA had a grate showing in Alexandria and will bring a very capable, steady, high grid scorer.

1599 (26.80) - 4th seed, 2nd overall pick, and event finalists in Portsmouth, CircuiTree has a fast swerve machine that can score in all locations, but occasionally drops game pieces under defense.

384 (23.15) - After a slow but steady start, SPARKY consistently improved throughout the Portsmouth event and led the #3 alliance deep into playoffs. We will be shocked if they don’t look even better for this event.

Timonium

This will be the second event for all teams in attendance at Timonium. Its getting late and we’re running out of things to write. We hope everyone has fun this weekend and that you leave your clothespins at home.

Number of Registered Teams: 36
TBA page: CHS District Timonium MD Event (2023) - The Blue Alliance
Livestream: Twitch
CHSyness: 11.79
Number of Swerves: 16
Predicted Winning Alliance: 836, 1727, 116

The Favorites:

836 (33.32) - The RoboBees had a strong showing at Bethesda even if their turreted telescoping pivoting arm wasn’t quite ready for primetime. The buzz we’re hearing is that they have better controls and a three game piece autonomous mode.

1727 (33.30) - REX’s superb cycling at Alexandria led them to their first blue banner in five years. If their home event performance matches last week it’s likely they’ll have their first ever double banner year.

Others to watch for:

1629 (31.52) - GaCo was a slow but consistent scorer at Blacksburg, but were limited by concerns about their MAXSwerve wheels failing. If they can speed things up and make sure their wheels are gouda they could upset the two event favorites.

2199 (28.43) - Ranked 2nd and event finalists week 2 in Bethesda, the Robo-Lions are a little slow, but steady and deliberate scorers with their neat unfolding arm. They’ve had time to make improvements and will be dangerous if they pick up a little speed.

What exactly is CHSyness? We’re glad you asked! We take real district event results (no Championship data, sorry 4099) and merge it with some magic formulas, throw in a little Elo, then mess with it until we like the results. We also give bonus points for inside info and secret reveal videos. The way we do the calculation is subject to change week to week. Super straightforward? Yeah, we thought so. Just trust us. As we move through the season, the 2023 events will be weighted higher than 2022 events.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see everyone in Timonium!

1 Like

1123 snubbed, I think they’ll aim to bring some chaos to the qual rankings.

4 Likes

Weve got some new wheels for the Maxswerve so hopefully no more tread failures. And weve worked on our reliability and speeding things up since Blacksburg. Looking forward to this weekend!

4 Likes

Nate I too was shocked at the snub as was about to mention this but you beat me to it. I’d love to see if the platter could publish an addendum with their CHYSyness score? We need it for our Prescout data.

1 Like

I love 1123’s bot this year. It was easily the dark horse of Bethesda with a solid auton and among the 2nd best for teleop.

3 Likes

we have improved our bot from last week in Alexandria and improved our auto as well(we had a hiccup with the charge station at our school vs the competition) so I think we will be a semi major player in Timonium GO 4541

4 Likes

Sleeping on 449? For shame.

1 Like

I just want to congratulate Teams 384, 401, and 611 for an incredible win at Glen Allen this week. This alliance was putting up numbers that rivaled the best in the world and cant wait to see these teams continue to put up big scores going into DCMP.

4 Likes

I wanna thank our awesome partners 6326 and 4541, y’all were both steals and it was an absolute pleasure sharing the field and being apart of the bracket buster alliance, can’t wait to see you guys at DCMP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The top tier in the district this year is probably the best they have ever put up and would rival the top tier of most other regions in the sport. It’s really something to witness.

2 Likes

Car_Nate

1 Like

Seemed like there were multiple alliances at Glen Allen this year that could have been 1-seeds in prior years (simply based on level of play.) Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the DCMP!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to ring the “people are sleeping on CHS” bell for a while now. Teams are making pretty big strides…

1 Like

Glen Allen this weekend was a mini preview of dcmp. It is going to be tough competition with small margins of winning in a lot of cases. I know a lot of teams are trying to optimize to get one more cycle, one more auto game piece, addding a half a cycle to the auto routine. The margins for winning this event are going to be tight and reliability of robot is going to be critical. My stomach is already turning thinking how nervous I am already

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who helped make the Glen Allen event a success. The volunteers were knowledgeable, conscientious, and consistently great to work with through field setup, competition, and field teardown. For me the moment that really exemplified this was the FTAs and CSAs taking the time to go through multiple laptops, ethernet adapters, and cables to make sure a team was able to connect and compete in a playoffs match, regardless of if it caused event to slip behind schedule by a couple of minutes.

It was great finally getting to play with our perpetual pit neighbors Sparky 384 for the first time since Blacksburg 2016, hopefully we don’t have quite as long of a gap between teaming up in the future! We were excited to work with 611 Saxons for the first time ever, it was cool getting to see the results of the real improvements that they’ve made in the last couple of years.

Thanks to Paul Lathrop and all of 7429 Convergence for their help with load in and load out when we didn’t have enough people to handle it, and to 5724 Spartan Robotics for making room for one of our toolboxes when we couldn’t fit it.

I have to of course shout out all of the seemingly hundreds of 1086 Blue Cheese and 422 Mech Tech Dragons students who had the field torn down and packed the fastest I’ve ever seen and literally hand delivered carpet to our trailer. We really, really appreciated all of your hard work and help.

We’re excited to see everyone at the District Championship in nine days, don’t forget to pack lighting for your pits, some parts of EagleBank Arena were dark in 2019!

6 Likes

401 good at game :thinking:

2 Likes

9003 had a great weekend and a great season. Thank you to everyone who has supported us in our Rookie season. Especially 5804, 1610, 401, and 1908. The event was very well run. Thank you to all of the volunteers!! The students are very excited and talking about what they need to do different next year.

1 Like

On behalf of 422, I would also like to thank 1086 for hosting the event as well as our alliance partners 1123, 540, and 2988 for being positive and great alliance partners. We really enjoyed playing with you guys!

I would also like to thank 1599 and 2106 for lending us critical parts such as an energy chain and some hex shaft that saved us in this competition.

Last but not least, I would also like to thank our 400 Alliance neighbors (GO 4 ALLIANCE!!), especially 401, for letting us coordinate with them in scouting.

just wait until you see the delivery fees and bills /j

3 Likes