Clamping/Bolting Chain

What are some sturdy ways to solidly clamp or bolt chain to a surface for elevator rigging? Are there clamps you can buy?

1 Like

In 2018, we lifted 450 pounds with an elevator that had its chain secured using ~5 bolts going in between the links and into a small billet piece.

1 Like

Bolts through the chain. 4-40 for #25 and 6-32 or 8-32 for #35 IIRC. Get higher-grade SHCS with a washer and you’re good to go.

12 Likes

Thanks! I just looked at some drawings and it looks like the hole in an outer link is ~0.3"x0.23", big enough to fit a 10-32. Is there a reason to use an 8-32 instead?

If 10-32 works, do it. It’s been a hot minute since I’ve done this, so my memory cannot be trusted.

1 Like

WCProducts’ chain tensioners can also be used to attach chain to a load by using the two halves separately.

2 Likes

What size chain? We’re trying to figure out the difference between “tensile strength” and “max working load.”

It was #35 chain

Another method that my team has used the past two years is clamping the chain to the metal with a U-bolt. If you tighten the U-bolt enough, the chain is held tightly to the frame and is unable to slip. We’ve only used this method with #35 chain before; I assume it would work with 25 chain as well, but it’s possible that the 25 chain wouldn’t be strong enough and would deform or break when clamped in tight enough to prevent it from slipping.

1 Like

I would go through an inner link, not an outer. Bolting through the post in the chain will help prevent the holes in the chain from “egging” out and will provide a more solid connection than just going through the two outer plates.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.