Class of 2019, where are you applying?

It’s that time of the year… with early deadlines coming up soon (or already passed :ahh:), I figured it was about time to make this thread. Class of 2019, where you are planning to apply and what is your intended major (if known)? Current college students and alumni, now’s your chance to tell us why your school is the best and offer some advice to prospective students.

My current (somewhat long) list:

• Stanford
  • Georgia Tech
  • Northwestern
  • Columbia
  • MIT
  • Johns Hopkins
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • University of Southern California
  • University of Wisconsin - Madison
  • University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
  • Arizona State

I’m planning to study EE with a potential double major in CS or Industrial/Systems Engineering.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s responses! Good luck with the application process :).

0 Likes

I was just thinking about this thread!

I’m applying to:

• University of Minnesota Twin Cities (already accepted!)
  • University of Wisconsin Madison
  • University of Michigan Ann Arbor
  • University of California Berkeley
  • University of California Davis
  • Cal Poly SLO
  • CSU Long Beach
  • Columbia University
  • Cornell University
  • University of Pennsylvania

I’m applying to most schools for industrial engineering, but I’m applying to industrial/labor relations at Cornell and product design at UMinnesota. Barring any school giving me incredible financial aid, I’ll probably end up in Minnesota since it’s the school I liked the most :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Oh, this is weird. I’ve been reading these for years, and now it’s my turn to respond?! What is this nonsense?! :ahh:

My college list is a bit long (apparently I’m bad at shortlisting or something like that?):

• Georgia Tech
  • NC State
  • University of North Carolina at Charlotte
  • Princeton
  • Cornell
  • MIT
  • Carnigie Mellon
  • Stanford
  • UC Berkley
  • Texas A&M
  • UT Austin
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I’m still trying to decide between Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. For most colleges, I’m going to potentially double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics with a minor in CS, but there are a few colleges I’m applying straight into Aerospace Engineering with a CS Minor (I want to work in the Astronautical/Astrophysics field, mechanical engineering just seems to be more versatile and broad.)

0 Likes

As always feel free to message me about UC Berkeley and the EECS or Japanese departments

0 Likes

I’m just applying to Georgia Tech, UW Seattle and Bothell, and Western Washington. The first two are pretty big reaches, but hopefully if I get into one of the second two I’ll just transfer into UW Seattle’s Mech E or Aero program.

0 Likes

I am a current WPI student, happy to answer questions you may have.

0 Likes

I’m getting old…

Already applied to these and won’t apply to any others:

NC State (won’t know till January)
University of Alabama in Huntsville (accepted)
University of Alabama (accepted)
Auburn (accepted)
Tennessee (accepted)

Aerospace engineering, and probably a math minor

0 Likes

Kettering student here, feel free to PM me with any questions you have, I’m always happy to help.

0 Likes

Still debating and need to finish applications but as now I’m thinking:

Western Michigan University
Michigan State University
University of Michigan
Grand Valley State University
Kettering University
Purdue University
Texas A&M

I may add or remove some, and I may apply to a local community college to get some basic classes done for free before going to a university and paying a lot of money. I’m mainly looking to stay in state due to instate tution being 1/3 the price of out of state.

Looking into mechanical or aerospace engineering but I feel like mechanical would be easier to get a job in this area.

0 Likes

Hey y’all! Current Olin student here. Would 100% recommend the school if you’re interested in hands-on, project-based interdisciplinary learning. I’m happy to answer any quethestions you might have about the school, admissions process, anything like that.

0 Likes

If anyone has any questions about Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), feel free to message me. I’m a senior studying computer science and math there.

0 Likes

Between this and another recent thread, now I’m picturing a College Advice Tinder. Swipe right on a school, and be matched with a student or alumnus of that school whom you can ask questions.

Feel free to message me with questions about the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).

1 Like

Nice! I’m not myself but I know a lot of people that are in CDES and product design specifically. Can’t help you there (and you seem fairly decided) but I can talk about the University of Minnesota, EE, CSE, and the honors program with anyone that’s interested.

0 Likes

Phew, after four years I’m finally here!

I’m applying to:
Stanford
Cornell
MIT
Olin
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
UC Berkeley
UCLA
UCSD
UCSB
Cal Poly SLO

As a mechanical engineering major.

0 Likes

If anyone is interested in learning about THE Ohio State University (honors college, engineering, campus…) pm me!

Best of luck applicants!
WRITE YOUR ESSAYS BASED ON THE SCHOOL’s MISSION

0 Likes

After four long, and tiresome years I have finally made it! Currently I’m looking at the following to apply to:

Kettering University
University of St. Thomas
Arizona State University
Assumption College
Florida Institute of Technology
Le Moyne College
New England Institute of Technology
Mercy College

Currently, I’ve been accepted only to:
University of Advancing Technologies

0 Likes

If anyone has questions about Caltech feel free to shoot me a pm!

0 Likes

If y’all have any questions about Kettering feel free to drop me a PM.

0 Likes

I can’t believe its already been four years :ahh: I’ll miss being a Narwhal (unless I end up at UCSD :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I’ve enjoyed every minute of my experience and can’t wait for one last competition season (as a student). Anyways, here’s my WIP (Work in Progress) of a list:

• Georgia Tech
  • UT Austin
  • Purdue
  • University of Wisconsin- Madison
  • Rose Hulman Institute of Technology
  • UW- Seattle
  • San Jose State University
  • Cal Poly SLO
  • UCs: I, LA, SB, SC, SD, Berkeley, Davis
  • Harvey Mudd
  • Brown?

Currently, I’m applying to major in either Computer or Electrical Engineering, however, being that I don’t want any of my Business/ Marketing skills from the last four years to go to waste, I’m looking into each school to see if they offer joint programs between their School of Engineering and School of Business or 5 year tracks to double major. Wherever I end up, I know I’ll have a great college experience and hope to not be too far from a FIRST event/team/program :wink:

0 Likes

Happy to answer questions about the University of Tennessee, although not an engineering student. Nearly everyone I know here is though, so someone can answer at least!

UT is also a very very FIRST friendly campus. Our alumni club has over 50 members!

0 Likes