Clearing/Kicking Mechanisms?

This year our team is considering making a purely defensive robot that can clear tubes across the field with a similar kicker from last years design. We are wondering if anything is allowed to come up from under the bumpers and what rules are in regards to this? Does anyone know if its legal to have part of the robot outside the bumper perimeter like shields etc. :confused:

F = Frame B = Bumper K = Kicker W = Wheels

Before Deployment
-----K
FFFFFFFKB
W – W

After/During Clearing/Kicking

------K
FFFFFKB
W – WKK

Thanks, Team 2625.

The only relevant rule I can see is that the robot must remain within an 84" cylinder<R11>. There is also a mention that ‘contact with mechanisms outside the bumpers are at their own risk’ (Blue box after <G48>.

Of course, it couldn’t be used to damage another robot, and probably will be looked at carefully for safety.

I see no reason that this wouldn’t be allowed, as long as it starts entirely inside the frame perimiter, this should pass inspection! :slight_smile:

Also make sure you don’t pop tubes!

Neat idea! I’d be interested to see exactly how far (and accurate) it’d kick. Also, remember your bumper zone is at a different height than last year. And of course be safe, especially if you’re going outside the bumper perimeter (unlike Breakaway).

Im also working on a design for this, however mine comes over the top, and uses a servo to lower it down. Maybe we should share notes!

I like this idea, very out of the box. you should watch out for the Herding and possession rules, some subtleties may apply to you, but not to more conventional robots.

I think you will have a hard time in qualifications, but if you are a really good defensive robot you might become a solid pick in eliminations.

I hope to see this on the field! :slight_smile:

I know of at least one team who had an operational tube kicker on their robot in 2007, but I don’t believe they used it much. Such a thing would be more useful this year.

This idea will NOT function well unless you have a devise to hold the tube in place before kicking. Just like last year, holding was critical to playing well. A simple pneumatic hook would probably work.

Good Luck

We have a plan for this, though im curious, what do you mean by a pneumatic hook? Im thinking more long the lines of a motor (or two) connected to a “pecker” arm that has only one range of motion: Up and down.

do you by any chance recall which team ?

Drate,
To be sure, your bumper is not moving during the kick? It does appear from your drawing that the bumper pulls back. Bumpers and frame may not move. I would advise you to draw this idea out and check the cross sectional radius of the tubes and the limits of the bumper zone (between 1" and 7" above the floor) before deciding this concept has merit. Then prototype with actual field pieces before you commit.

I think it was 79, but can’t fully remember. The kicker that I remember was used to flip tubes up to the claw, and was featured in the Behind the Design book for that year.

65 - Huskie Brigade

I am glad other people are considering kicking :slight_smile:

I am assisting a team that is going with a similar idea. The concept is a box bot that will collect the tubes from the feeder and tip them vertically and then launch them across the field high in the air. Not with the direct intention of scoring but to get plenty of tubes for our alliances to hang in the safe zone. After the meeting tonight I will try to post diagrams, it is a difficult concept to visualize.

just to reiterate an important point Al made…

<R07>

B. The BUMPERS must be located entirely within the BUMPER ZONE when the ROBOT is standing normally on a flat floor, and must remain there (i.e. the BUMPERS must not be articulated or designed to move outside of the BUMPER ZONE).
F. Each BUMPER segment must be backed by a piece of ¾” thick by 5” tall piece of plywood. Small clearance pockets and/or access holes in the plywood backing are permitted, as long as they do not significantly affect the structural integrity of the BUMPER

BUMPER ZONE – the volume contained between two virtual horizontal planes, one inch above the floor and seven inches above the floor.

So, you can have at most 2 inches of space below the bumpers to kick from (place the bumpers so the top is 7 inches off the floor, at 5 inches tall the bottom of the bumper backing is going to be 2 inches off the floor). kicking the tubes to clear them from the opponents zone is a great idea, just make sure you take that into consideration - I know the kicker our team used last year wouldn’t be able to fit within that constraint!