Climbing Mechanism Ideas

There’s already a thread for shooter ideas so what are you guys thinking in terms of climbing?

My team has been prototyping something along the lines of a “bike peddler” design.

One of my teams ideas was to have a conveyor belt like mechanizm with claws to grasp the bars

I have the question regarding the rules and the animation.

During the animation, they show a robot scooting under the bars, being at level 0 - the ground, grabbing the second level then lift up and touching the first level.

This either violates the rule about skipping a level or if there is some sort of contact with level one prior to touching level 3, it violates touching more than 2 levels at a time.

Am I wrong?

Thanks.

The game animations do not always agree with the rules. Although, I do believe that robot jumped up onto the first level before hooking onto the second.

Unfortunately yes. If you look closely you can see the robot perches itself on level one, and THEN uses hooks itself to level two.

Yeah. In the animation, it bounces before grabbing the second bar… hence leaving level 0, being suspended momentarily on level one before grabbing level 2. I had that question originally but looking back on it it just barely avoids the penalty

What about some kind of arm to place a hook and then just use a winch to pull your robot up. Then some kind of secondary mechinism to hold the robot in place. Not sure how to get to the second and third levels, maybe springs to reset the arm if you disengage the ratchet

But the rule states that a legal climb is when the robot contacts the pyramid sequentially. The pyramid does not include the airspace, or you will never have a “legal climb”. If the air space was considered part of the pyramid in that level, to get to suspended in the 1st level, your hook would intrude into the 2nd level air space. That would mean that it was not a legal climb because you are in 3 levels at one time (0, 1, 2). But that is the wrong interpretation. Airspace is not part of the pyramid of the corresponding level; but it is still part of the “level” when counting points. The pyramid is only the steel structure.

A ROBOT has CLIMBED its PYRAMID if it contacts the PYRAMID in

sequential order (Level 0, 1, 2, 3) during ascent and
no more than two (2) Levels simultaneously.

If a CLIMB is considered unacceptable (e.g. a ROBOT has touched non-adjacent Levels or more than two (2) Levels at a time), a Referee will indicate a rejected CLIMB by turning the offending ROBOT’S PLAYER STATION LED strings yellow. The ROBOT will be ineligible for CLIMB points unless and until it begins a new CLIMB from the floor, Level 0.

See 2010 “Breakaway”.

That makes sense, Otherwise any robot thats over 60" tall near the pyramid would be in violation of that rule… They really should clarify slightly more.

We’ve come up with a few designs already. One has a groove going through the whole underside of the robot and a pair of treads/belts/whatever on each side of the groove. There would be at least two sets of two grabbers/hooks/grappling devices, preferably parallel to one another at two different points along the belts. We would drive up to the corner of the pyramid, push the robot up the corner pole until the lifter can engage, and turn it on, hoisting the robot up off the ground and up the poles.

Another thought was to have (essentially) two of these, one at the front and one at the back of the robot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94Yhm1dhv0 Obviously it would be highly modified and adapted with better wheels and so on, but the idea would be that the first one would pull the robot up to the bottom of a level, then kind of disengage and retract, letting the second one push the robot up enough for the first to re-engage, which would let both be used to pull the robot up.

those two were based on climbing up the corners. We had one idea that would be based on climbing the horizontals. Basically, that one had three arms. One would grab the horizontal and pull the front of the robot up. Then the other two arms would grab onto that bar for stability while the third pulled the robot up to the next level and so on.

Hope that was of some help.

I like your idea ,how would you keep the 120lb robot from rotating around the pole?

When climbing the corners, how would you get over the tubing that’s wrapped around the corners? You can’t straight up.

• Sunny G.

Funny when I type robot climbing monkey bars in You Tube, I get nothing…

I did find this though when I typed robot climbing pole

May be a similar principle might work. But that’s just throwing any legality out the window.

quick question, has anyone considered the pros and cons of climbing either inside or outside the pyramids? I mean obviously the size limits would come into effect if you were to climb inside, but there are more possibilities I think of getting up. Obviously this size limit wouldn’t apply if you climb outside, but there are several problems, like the extra tubing at 30, 60 and 90 inches. I know in our team, we have debated this greatly, and still are split. anything you can add to this debate would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

what do you mean by bike peddler design?

What if you climbed the edge and used the notches to your advantage?

You’d have to make sure there’s a wide enough channel on the underside of your robot so that your components didn’t get snagged on the notch, but I think it’s feasible.

As for the climbing mechanism… two hooked pneumatic arms that can be rotated down onto the bars on either side of the corner of the pyramid may work.

These hooks could work in such a way that they would slide smoothly against the bars on the pyramid until they catch and hold the robot in place.

(you’d also want a really tight wheelbase)
http://www.allredlodge.com/images/content/3656_3767_Red_Lodge_Montana_Ice_Climbing_md.jpg

We haven’t quite gotten to that point yet (I assume you’re talking about the horizontal climber), though I think the plan would be to work out the dimensions of the robot/arms such that either the robot would be supported (for a short second at least) by resting on the lower horizontal OR held very tightly in position (or at least a position where the balancing was manageable) until the third arm grabbed it. We had the same concerns and in part I was throwing it out here because I want to see if anyone else has ideas on how to fix that problem.

We would be using the corners to grab onto, and in the first design at least we would be making our “groove” through the bottom such that the robot, riding on the belts that would be moving the grabbing piece(s), just slid right over the corners. Most likely upon further refinement we will add some kind of stabilizing mechanism there to be safe.

My team briefly considered climbing up the inside. We chose against it first because the angle is hellacious to begin with, and getting into an inside climbing position would be very difficult. At the same time, it’s an even bigger safety hazard for the robot if we climb up the inside. If ANYTHING fails from the inside, we have to assume that in the worst case scenario the robot falls off the pyramid and lands upside down, which would most likely destroy everything above the frame. The damage could be minimized, sure, but we decided that ultimately the risk was too much.