CO2 & Pneumatics

Is it Safe to use an air compressor pressure gauge/ regulator with a 12oz CO2 tank? The CO2 tank is from a paintball marker. Attached to this post is a small diagram of how I would like to connect this system together

untitled.bmp (92.2 KB)

untitled.bmp (92.2 KB)

Well, paintball tanks are filled in the thousands of psi, also, unless you have a syphon tube in the tank, you get a little bit of co2 liquid that expands some what spontaniuosly (changeing pressure AFTER the regulator) So if the regulator is rated to handel 2000 psi on the inlet, go for it IMHO

hey, where did you get the regulator that you will be using. I have been searching all day for a regulator under 40 bucks that can regulate a CO2 tank?

oh, to answer some of your questions, my friend did research today, and if you regulate the pressure to 120 or lower you can use the same everything directly from the regulator with the FIRST pneumatics. The hosing can be used even before the regulator is the tank is below 3000 psi I think.

So, where did you get a regulator?

The tubing in the FIRST kit CANNOT handle 3000psi. Its only rated for about 120psi.

Will paintball stuff work on normal pneumatics stuff? Absolutely, and our team has done it before.

The statement that CO2 is under thousands of pounds of pressure is oncorrect. The average internal pressure of a CO2 tank is 850 PSI. The output of compressed air tanks for paintball is, on average, 800 PSI. You can buy various compressed air tanks with various output pressures (450 and 800). Or you can purchase an adjustable output tank. You have confused the internal storage pressure on a compressed air tank with it’s output pressure.

Any regulator can handle and regulate CO2. It will not handle it as well as it would with compressed air, but it will handle it. Also, keep in mind that many of your higher priced regulators have high rehcarge rates, which means they can recover from a drop in pressure extremely quickly (50 milliseconds or less).

The CO2 should never reach above 900 PSI. Because it is self-regulating, a change in air temperature along with the consumption rate will effect the pressure. The greater the temperature, the greater the pressure. The greater the consumption rate, the lower the pressure. Now, in order to see any noticable difference in pressure through a difference in consumption rate, you would need to be firing your pneumatics extremely quicky for a long period of time. But, since this is going on a robot, you should not have to worry about that.

Now, your budget of $40 is alittle low. I will try and search around tonight for you and see if I can find anything suitable for your needs.

I hope this helps.

-Andrew

Not nearly enough detail on what you’re trying to do. Give me some requirements of what you need to accomplish and I’ll you come up with something safe. What are you powering? What is the pressure required? What is the flow rate needed? There is a lot more to consider when working on gas powered systems.

Andrew, He may have been thinking of regular CO2 tanks which can easily reach many thousands of PSI. I have a tank in my basement for our bar style pop machine which when filled and the next month or two will run at over 1200 PSI.

Not just any regulator would work for high pressure. Pressure regulators DO have in many instances a maximum input pressure. Too high a pressure will destroy a regulator without much difficulty. Thus it must be designed for the pressure. For example, quick search on Google look at "Supply Pressure, Maximum"

Also, he never mentioned using this on a robot. The diagram does show a “resevoir” but this does not specifically mean a robot “reservoir”.

This appears to be an idea to refill a low pressure relatively quickly from high pressure. Keep in mind that, if this is for a FIRST robot, the rules say you must use the kit compressor. See this thread

-Mike

Also you need the right regulator for the type of gas to get a bottle filled. The Compressed Gas Associaion (CGA) has standard fittings for regulators that differ depending on the gas type. This is mistake proofing to prevent things like mixing an oxidizer with a combustible.

MikeAA- Thank you for the correction. I got alittle caught up in their paintball confusion and I got stuck on that point. I should have clarified that I was refering to regulators that can be found in the paintball industry.

I guess next time I should make such a post right after I get home from a Regional :wink:

Thank you once again Mike

-Andrew
Robot Builder and a Guy who needs more sleep