Energy Day is returning this year to Denver’s East High School on September 25th, and with it the return of the Kendrick Castillo Memorial Tournament (KCMT). We are trying to create a Covid-19 safe event that will allow teams to play (a version of) Infinite Recharge; to that end we will hold the entire event OUTDOORS, including the playing field and the pits. The field and scoring will be of the “unofficial” variety; field kindly provided by team 2996, Cougars Gone Wired. Registration is now open for interested teams; I will provide a link at the end of this post. Here are some of the details.
- CBS4 of Denver is one of the event sponsors and will be live at the event throughout the day.
- The event is entirely outdoors. The playing field will be covered with a 30’x60’ tent to mitigate sunburn and rain.
- Pits will be separated by 6’ buffers.
- Masks will be required of participants in the same way and the same locations where safety glasses are normally required; that is, in the pits, and in all playing areas.
- There will be no spectator seating, though folks are welcome to watch from the sidelines.
- Energy Day itself will include exhibits from many industry sponsors, as well as food trucks, and will take place during the first 2/3 of the tournament.
- Prizes of $1000 per team will be awarded to the winning alliance, courtesy of one of the event sponsors.
- A prize of $1500 will be awarded for Community Service.
- A prize of $1500 will be awarded by a special Judge committee to the team they find most deserving.
- Teams may register more than one robot for the tournament.
- The cost to participate will be $100 per robot (not per team), with the entire fee going to fund a new initiative to bring robotics projects into Denver-area middle schools.
- Teams will be expected to offer assistance with setup (Friday night), tear down (Saturday night), scorekeeping, MC’ing, refereeing, etc.
Here is the link to register your team. Barring some terrible Covid-related situation, we are looking forward to serving our community with this event, and we hope to see some of you there. I’m happy to answer any questions.