Colorado Off Season Event: Energy Day and the Kendrick Castillo Memorial Tournament

Hello Everyone,

Energy Day is returning this year to Denver’s East High School on September 25th, and with it the return of the Kendrick Castillo Memorial Tournament (KCMT). We are trying to create a Covid-19 safe event that will allow teams to play (a version of) Infinite Recharge; to that end we will hold the entire event OUTDOORS, including the playing field and the pits. The field and scoring will be of the “unofficial” variety; field kindly provided by team 2996, Cougars Gone Wired. Registration is now open for interested teams; I will provide a link at the end of this post. Here are some of the details.

• CBS4 of Denver is one of the event sponsors and will be live at the event throughout the day.
  • The event is entirely outdoors. The playing field will be covered with a 30’x60’ tent to mitigate sunburn and rain.
  • Pits will be separated by 6’ buffers.
  • Masks will be required of participants in the same way and the same locations where safety glasses are normally required; that is, in the pits, and in all playing areas.
  • There will be no spectator seating, though folks are welcome to watch from the sidelines.
  • Energy Day itself will include exhibits from many industry sponsors, as well as food trucks, and will take place during the first 2/3 of the tournament.
  • Prizes of $1000 per team will be awarded to the winning alliance, courtesy of one of the event sponsors.
  • A prize of $1500 will be awarded for Community Service.
  • A prize of $1500 will be awarded by a special Judge committee to the team they find most deserving.
  • Teams may register more than one robot for the tournament.
  • The cost to participate will be $100 per robot (not per team), with the entire fee going to fund a new initiative to bring robotics projects into Denver-area middle schools.
  • Teams will be expected to offer assistance with setup (Friday night), tear down (Saturday night), scorekeeping, MC’ing, refereeing, etc.

Here is the link to register your team. Barring some terrible Covid-related situation, we are looking forward to serving our community with this event, and we hope to see some of you there. I’m happy to answer any questions.

26 Likes

This would have been a really good event to attend. Just a little to early for us. Maybe the following year. This especially since we got to visit Kendrick’s school, mentors and some students prior to the Pandemic.

4 Likes

Re-upping to let folks know that we are still on for this event. All outdoors, we currently have 25 robots registered. We’d love to have you if you’re able to travel safely.

9 Likes

Very jealous of this event! An outdoor competition sounds so fun.

Best of luck! Wish I could attend.

1 Like

Glad to see in person events return to Colorado. Myself and a few fellow alums will try to be there, should be a great time.

1 Like

Are you accepting volunteers who aren’t with a team that is competing?

1 Like

Yes! That would be awesome. Send me a dm

1 Like

Hi everyone, my name is Olivia Smistad and I am with Energy Day Colorado! Energy Day 2021 is right around the corner and we are so excited to see you all there! If you are participating in the Kendrick Castillo Memorial Robotics Tournament please arrive at 7 am to prepare your robots to compete. Practice rounds begin at 8 am, and the opening rounds of the robotics tournament begin at 9 am. If you have any questions about the event message me at any time, or email me at osmistad99@consumerenergyalliance.org and if you have questions about the robotics tournament please message Mr. Noble. See you all on September 25th, and extend an invite to all of your friends!

9 Likes

Mod note: I moved the previous post from it’s own thread into this one

Thanks 1339 for hosting! Letting our robots finally play the game they were designed and built for was amazing, and so was meeting other teams.

5 Likes

Thanks to all the teams who came and competed yesterday. We had such a good time seeing you all, and I hope your team really enjoyed finally getting to play Infinite Recharge.

6 Likes