COMETS shooting, dialing it up

It only took a couple weeks and lots of iteration but we are now hitting our strides (and shots). Shown in the video is our open control loop shooter prototype hitting about 80%

Looking good with the output of the shooter but are you able to shoot closer with better consistency?

Yes we have the ability to be closer. The group that was assembling just happend to be sitting there and decided to let a couple fly. It was actually outside of our calculated range.

Very Nice!!! The next question is how did you feed the fuel into the shooter? :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing you in Mason!

Just an observational question haha. Thanks for the answer. Good luck at the competitions!

I’m assuming this is by the efforts of one “shooter” and not multiple. Imagine what it would be like with 3 streams instead of just one :eek: Nice work!

Not asking for spoilers really, but what motor(s) are you running in your shooter mechanism? Wondering if the speed/torque argument may be valid for momentum for the speed of ball output, compared to our 775 rig.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have no idea what you mean.

That’s an impressive stream of balls! I’m also curious as to what kind of feeding mechanism you are using.

This game is going to be a lot of fun to watch, certainly more entertaining than stacking some totes.

Woah Woah Woah man,

stacking those totes was intense.

Awesome! Look forward to seeing you guys at St. Joes :smiley:

For example, when you think of shooter mechanism, you usually think of 775 motors for their speed, but I have seen/heard results from people using MiniCIMs and other motors mounted to intermediate-torque gearboxes where the higher momentum results in higher accuracy (less deviation).

Then again, I could be quoting a lie, so don’t take my word for it.

Oh. Hm. I think the word you’re looking for is torque, not momentum. And frankly, it all depends on what gearing you choose in combination with the motor. Lots of middle and low tier teams use CIMs or MiniCIMs direct driving their shooter wheel, which is fine. But teams also choose the 775Pro and then do a bit of math to find a more optimized gearing for their shooter setup. But as long as the power is there, it doesn’t really matter what motor you choose. Just find what ratio and what wheel works with it.

Very nice. Can’t wait to see it in action at St. Joseph…

Nice tube-fed bench grinder…

Seriously, nice consistency through the shooter wheel!