Comming soon: 2CAN Simple Analyzing Monitor

I have made a simple java application that retrieves the status from the 2CAN. This can be launched in place of or along side of the dashboard.

To run from command line:
java <path to class file>twocansam [ip] [mode]

• Where IP is the ip address of the 2CAN.
      • Where [mode] is the mode of monitoring

Example:
If the class is in a folder on the c drive called frc and the IP of the 2CAN is 10.99.99.10 with one Jaguar
java c:\frc wocansam 10.99.99.10 T

Example Result
547 21.02 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

The line updates every 1 second

NOTE
The release for today will only show temperatures. I will add the other modes tonight and release tomorrow. Sunday I will add a gui so it can actually be seen with the dashboard.

Please post a reply with problems and comments

You can download on this page
http://www.satanicspider.com/frc.php

EDIT:: Haha don’t mind the site, just something I was playing with a while ago!

Attached first version. Host is down again …

twocansam0.1.zip (1.78 KB)

twocansam0.1.zip (1.78 KB)

Update:

Added preliminary gui
Each jag appears in the window. The description (set on the 2CAN) VBus Vout Iout Firmware Version and active status is displayed
If the program thinks the jag is alive the circle and subsequent text will appear in green to give a quick visual cue. Otherwise the alive circle and subsequent text will be red.

–See image attached for overview

–New zip file added with gui. Extract all files to same folder. Run it the same as before.

Next Update:
Automatic reconnection to 2CAN if it gets disconnected
2CAN Status below jag status

Further update:
Logging?

twocansam0.2.zip (6.53 KB)
twocansamdemo.png

twocansam0.2.zip (6.53 KB)
twocansamdemo.png

Nice!
I would recommend changing the green text to a darker color to improve contrast.

Will take that into consideration. I will bold the text. May just make all the text black and have the active circle change green or red.

To launch it with your dashboard you need to go to users\public\public documents. Make a backup of “frc ds data storage.ini” then change the cmd line to java c:\frc wocansam 10.99.99.10 TVCB changing the variables to your needs.

Also next update:
Set monitoring to all for default if no parameters are passed
Display faults
Throw a flag if a fault occurs or if a jag disconnects

Update 0.3:
Added - auto reconnect
2CAN status - in separate window (can be closed without stopping program)
FIXED All text is now black and tho only color changing is the circles
All monitoring enabled if no mode parameters are passed
Displays Faults
Fault indicator (Green if no fault has occurred. Red if it has.)
Jag Communications Lost Indicator (Green if communication was constant, Red if it was lost)

That’s all for tonight. Will start cracking on logging tomorrow. Let me know if there are any features I should add.

EDIT:

JUST KIDDING. Got stuck in a tight spot today and had nothing better to do. Got logging running. Gotta test when I am back at the lab. Once tested I will release 0.4

2CANSAM0.3.zip (9.71 KB)

2CANSAM0.3.zip (9.71 KB)

Update

Added logging
—Data appears as bar graph. Blue is normal red is if a fault is detected
—The red line is the front of the log
—Windows are shown only when that particular logging is enabled
—Example if you put B in the mode a window will pop up with v-Bus logging
—NOTE VOLTAGE IS SET TO A 24V SCALE
Added 2CAN Debug Window
—Enable it by adding a D in the mode parameter
Fixed Bug where main page would need to be open in browser
Fixed Bug where only logged data was being shown on the main window

Next Update
Menu to show/hide logging
Pause/Resume logging
Labels for scales
Ability to save logs

twocansam0.4teaser.png
2CANSAM0.4.zip (12.9 KB)

twocansam0.4teaser.png
2CANSAM0.4.zip (12.9 KB)

Since this is Java-based, will it run under any OS with a JRE?

Also, I see three dots for each motor. What do those mean?

Yes this should run under any os with the JRE.

The left dot signifies if the jag is seen as active
The middle dot signifies if a fault was detected (untested though)
—If at any point a fault is detected the dot will become and stay red
the right dot signifies if communications have been constant
—If at any point communications appears to have been lost the dot will become and stay red

I could probably figure out how you’re gathering the info from the 2CAN but …

Any chance of getting the code? I have an android phone, the SDK, and some time between now and St. Louis and have been itching to write my first app. And this would be a cool app to have on my phone :slight_smile:

Ill consider the release for the code shortly. The problem with going to the android phone is I do no think the same libraries are supported.

It was simple reverse engineering and parsing info. I don’t see the harm with releasing the info but let me check with crosstheroadelectronics first ok?

Actually all of the information needed is contained in the open-source project located on our web site. Also a free Android apk is also available. The apk is called uCANdrive, unlike the RCS the uCANdrive is closed source.

www.crosstheroadelectronics.com

Well if its open source then here I go:

I pull data from ip/status.xml which contains xml with all of the individual jag data. I found it by stumbling through the index pages html for a couple of minutes.

The main XML container is a response tag

Each jag has the following tags
voltout#
current#
temp#
fault#
voltbus#
descript#
firmware#

Using the xpath library (java.xml.xpath.*) I can then retrieve the appropriate values via a simple path such as getting the voltout for jag number 7 like this
“response/voltout7” While that will work for jag number 7, i put in a loop to read all of the information from all of the jags so in reality its “response/voltout” + loop_counter but that is just logistics …

To do it without xml and save memory you should think along this line
Open a stream over http to ip/status.xml read the response line for line looking for patterns. (eg <v* can only be 1 of 2 bits of information voltout or voltbus) find the first > character go 1 or 2 characters left to get the jag number then take the data from the right of the > character until you reach a < character

If you think it will help I will release source for 0.5 when I get it done.

BEFORE I FORGET the little problem I ran into was that the 2CAN doesn’t log information unless the index page is loaded with POST data. Using the same http stream open ip/index.htm?enables=65535 and data should start rolling.

I downloaded the uCANdrive app about a week ago, when one of the students showed me the iPhone driver station app. It was cool to be able to drive the bot via his iPhone, although our controls are really too complicated for the interface so I went to see if there was anything similar for Android. I saw the uCANdrive and put it on my phone but it really does more than I want, and not enough of what I really want. I’ll take a crack at coming up with an app that does something similar to your monitor which is really all I want. Of course I could just point my browser at the 2CAN and use the web interface but would be the fun in that.

0.5 is nearly ready I will be conducting testing today to make sure everything is in order. I want to do some cleanup of the gui first (menus appear not where menus should) then I can release.

Currently the log spits out the description then each value in the log (currently capped at 500 items updated at every 0.5 second which should amount to a bit over four minutes of log. I want to add a flag to log every 0.25 seconds which would make the logs a little over 2 minutes long. The values will be printed in order from the oldest value to the most current value. Id advise you to pause the log before saving because it will continue to log even while you have the save dialog open!

If you left click on a log it will pause it. Right click and the value at that point in time will be displayed

I also added a menu item on each log view to pause all of the values at once.

Here is version 0.5 Still have not had the chance to test it on my rig. Anyone who wants to test it before I get the chance let me know how it goes.

See the above post for the update listing

Next Update:
Log rate switcher (1/0.5/0.25 second intervals)
Executable jar?
Aesthetics?

Please suggest features if you know of anything you would like to see!

2CANSAM 0.5.zip (18 KB)
twocansam0.5teaser.png

2CANSAM 0.5.zip (18 KB)
twocansam0.5teaser.png

I was able to run it on *nix without issue

Once on debian and once on Ubuntu

Version 0.6 is here and is a beta version

Updated:

—Fixed silly bug where any value between -9.99 and -0.01 would cause an exception to be thrown (values were read as - 9.99 not -9.99)
—Bundled everything into an executable jar file
—Added a batch file to start the program
—Modified the V-Out scale to show a negative throttle on the graph (note the scale will say 200 instead of 100 - will be fixed in the next release)

Installation notes:
Unpack the zip file into a folder
Modify the driverstation storage ini file:
—open the file
—copy the cmd line
–change to c:\frc\start.bat (or wherever you extracted the zip)
—Paste the command line into a new line on start.bat

Sorry folks i dont have access to our driver station so I cannot create the line for you. If someone is kind enough to do this and post their line it would be greatly appreciated

Other notes:
Have not had time to add the logging rate modifier like I had promised. For those without broken promises under hardship may cast the first bit (either a 1 or a 0)

twocansam0.6.zip (18.2 KB)

twocansam0.6.zip (18.2 KB)

Thanks for creating this! Our team used 2CAN for this first time this year and I think your software will be very handy for our programming subteam next year.

Trying to Help

Anyone willing to try it out and look for bugs?

If anyone happens to have any suggestions for features let me know and I will add them before September.