Communicating to human player which game piece to put into play?

Has anyone determined how the driver will communicate to the human players which game piece they should put into play?

1 Like

via lights on the robot is our current idea. I like that the game pieces are not blue or red so the colors are unique to the game pieces.

24 Likes

Best guess would be a combination of pre-game strategy, both as the team decides in design, and as fits best into the alliance. That, and a lot of hand waving.

Semaphore could be a fun option…

(may have to crib the light idea though)

2 Likes

I had a class in C last semester and this gave me ptsd

2 Likes

Oh, I was hoping this would scare some other programmers out there!

1 Like

Should be relatively easy to have LEDs on the robot that are yellow for cone and purple for cube

3 Likes

Another vote for LED lights.

A slow/safe purple flash to say we want a cube, and a slow/safe flash to say we need a cone. Cant get much more simple or real time than that IMO

3 Likes

LEDs are certainly the answer, since that puts the communication device right in front of the human player (or at least approaching them), but I do want to advocate for the semaphore idea, just because it would be awesome to watch teams waving signal flags at each other across the field. On a slightly more serious note, it could be a good way for less experienced teams that might not have time or knowledge to program the LEDs to still be able to communicate effectively with their human players.

3 Likes

We discussed using LEDs to do that-- but still very much in development

in 2011 we had signs our coach would hold up. easier than adding electronics and weight to the robot
(as little as they may be)

You can also use non-powered signaling devices (as stated in H303). My thought for my team (assuming we didn’t want to do that or didn’t have the buttons for it or whatever) was to use a yellow sign for cones and purple for cubes

2 Likes

In 2017 we had a pink and green pool noodle taped together (~2ft long total) that a human player would use to tell the driver if they were aligned correctly to pick up gears. I imagine a drive coach could use this system to communicate with the human player as a low-tech alternative to colored LEDs.

Keep it simple, cones to the left, cubes to the right.

4 Likes

We’re thinking about bringing back the RasPi-driven dual 10" HDMI displays we used on our 2019 robot for this purpose (also known as “what to do with an extra 5lbs of available weight when you already have LEDs on your robot”).

You could literally just display a picture of the game piece you want… along with anything else when not used for talking to Human Players… :joy:

3 Likes

Since non-powered signaling devices are allowed on the field, we were thinking of giving our Drive Coach yellow and purple flags (corresponding to the colors of cones and cubes, respectively) and having them hold them up for our HP to see. I suppose we will just tell HP to look in the direction of Drive Team when they see our robot approaching the Loading Zone.

I also love the idea of LED indicator lights on the robot, but we will see how much time we have!

1 Like

take the piece and if it’s wrong, throw it on the floor :joy:

Or repeat cone-cone-cube

1 Like

LED’s are a good idea but not every team will do that. Another good option that does not require all teams on to put lights on the bot are just a big purple/yellow sign that a coach/human player in the alliance area can hold up.

2 Likes

Another idea could be to have cone intake from shelf and cube intake from ground. Then you could symbolize which one you wanted by the level of your mechanism.

you could pre-communicate that such and such motion of your manipulator means you want such and such game piece

Semaphore :slight_smile:

4 Likes