Computer Building/Repair Schools

Just wondering, does anyone have any colleges for the computer field (specifically building and/or repairing them)? I’m planning on going into this field, or doing server management (more than likely the first option though). I’ve been trying to find some colleges around Michigan (doesn’t matter where though honestly), and was wondering if anyone here would have any resources for me.

I’ve looked at ITT, and tried to look at NIT (I can’t seem to find the Michigan site though).

Thanks.

most any school that offers an Information Technology degree will probably be what you are looking for…an IT degree is very common now so most schools will have the program

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yea, I was thinking that to. I know of a few other tech schools around where I live, and was also thinking of there.

One of them is Schoolcraft ( http://www.schoolcraft.edu ).

Make sure to get some GOOD EXPERIENCE. This is pretty much critical to get a job in IT. The job market is flooded. I have seen some talented IT students graduate and not be able to find a job. I can’t imagine what that’ll be like in a few years. Lots of good experience can help set you apart from the rest.

I’ve been trying to get some background into it :slight_smile:

The flooding of this profression is drawing me away from it though, but I’ve always enjoyed doing things to computers.

Evulish, I couldn’t agree with you more. To get a good paying IT job you need to know a lot of skills and be very agile. Like…

• Knowing everything you can about Windows, Mac OS, and Linux like the back of your hand. Both old and new systems too.

• Knowing how to repair personal PCs and large servers

*Knowing how to use a command line interface (Windows, Unix, etc)

• Knowing a little programming is always a good thing

• Knowing everything about the equipment you use

*Knowing how to make cables (RJ-45, serial, etc), both male and female

• Knowing a little bit about carpentry is ideal too

Basically the more you know the better you are

This is probably my most weakest point. I’m trying to learn all I can though.

• Knowing how to repair personal PCs and large servers

PC’s, for me, are pretty good. I’ve never attempted a server before though :\

*Knowing how to use a command line interface (Windows, Unix, etc)

I’m really good at using the command line in Windows, but I haven’t really messed with it on *nix and the like.

• Knowing a little programming is always a good thing

My strongest point :smiley:

I do know a little bit of ASM, and other languages. Hopefully it’ll all do me good.

• Knowing everything about the equipment you use

Isn’t this a little hard to really do? I know it isn’t on a PC, but if you are a server admin in a big company, like Blizzard, it’d be hard to know everything about every computer, no? (completely serious question; just incase it sounds like sarcasm)

*Knowing how to make cables (RJ-45, serial, etc), both male and female

2nd weakest point. I’ve never really messed with wires, except for when I soldered a few PWM’s, and some others.

• Knowing a little bit about carpentry is ideal too

I’m going to guess this is in the fact of static electricity and electronics don’t mix to well together?

I dunno if it actually makes sense to comment on all these points by Ken, but I just wanted to give some of my background on the situation.

One other things, for the 1rst & 2nd to last points (the “my weakest points” ones), does anyone have any resources for these? I know, especially for the first, that I can use Google, and I will. But I don’t know if anyone else has any resources that might be of some help.

I think what Kyle is talking about is having some knowledge of how buildings are constructed and some basic carpentry skills. In the IT field at some point or another you will problably have to route and snake cables through walls and ceilings. You might also have to cut holes in walls and add jacks. Some places also have a “floating floor”. It’s like a suspended ceiling with removable tiles but in this case the floor tiles can be picked up and removed for access to shallow pits under the floor. In this case all the cables for the computers/servers will be under the floor.