Computer Fans

ok, one of my mentors wants to make a nifty little cooling system for our robot. our problem, we would like to use different size fans than those provided in the kit. We weren’t sure if it’s legal to use other size fans (say, from a computer case), which is more the size that we would need. anyone know if there’s any ruling on it?

also, if this has been answered, feel free to yell, i’m just stupid and couldn’t find anything when i searched. :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by Ian W. *
**ok, one of my mentors wants to make a nifty little cooling system for our robot. our problem, we would like to use different size fans than those provided in the kit. We weren’t sure if it’s legal to use other size fans (say, from a computer case), which is more the size that we would need. anyone know if there’s any ruling on it?

also, if this has been answered, feel free to yell, i’m just stupid and couldn’t find anything when i searched. :slight_smile: **

I have been wondering the same thing. I am one of those uber computer geeks that has an army of EXTEMELY high velocity fans lying around. the fans in the kit are absolutely pathetic!!!

Fans would be an electric device. Since they aren’t on the restricted parts list, they must be purchased from digikey or FAI with the appropriate limits.

And digikey carries 439 different 12v dc fans :wink:

Edit: nevermind