Configuring a Raspberry Pi 3 with a wifi hotspot and Pi-gen/FRCVision

Recently I have been trying to understand the FRCVision and Pi-gen Github repositories. My team is using a Raspberry Pi as a vision coproccessor. I want to know how to make the raspberry pi broadcast it’s own wifi signal instead of pluggong it into the radio so that when we put the robot in the bag (or when I’m at home) I don’t have to use an ethernet cable and I can just connect to it directly.

The official FRC image blacklists the wifi modules. So if you look inside */etc/modprobe.d/ you should see the blacklist configuration file that includes the wifi drivers.

Make sure you know what you’re doing here, as you can’t legally have the wifi running for the event.

1 Like

Bear in mind that per manual:

H1.vi: (pertaining to driver station and crew)

do not include any form of enabled wireless electronic communication (e.g. radios, walkie-talkies, cell
phones, Bluetooth communications, Wi-Fi, etc.)

H5:

Wireless devices not allowed. During a MATCH, DRIVE TEAMS may not use electronic devices
which have the capability of receiving communications from persons outside of the ARENA (e.g.
cell phones or wearable technology).

And R70:

No form of wireless communication shall be used to communicate to, from, or within the ROBOT,
except those required per R65 and R69.

(italics is mine)

so, . . . you should probably plan to use ethernet at the event.

Thank you, I remember seeing that folder and just thinking, “ill just skip this one.” Also as i mentioned, I will be uzing this for testinng.

do you know how to broadcast a WiFi signal from an rpi using the root files? I want to achieve this even though i know I can’t use it on the robot.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.