Congratulations Melissa Smith-First FIRST Alum on the BoD

Just wanted to give a huge congratulations to Melissa Smith who is the first FIRST alum to be elected to the FIRST Board of Directors! This is such a great step in the right direction for the Board, and it’s a shame I could only find a public announcement about it on LinkedIn, so let’s show Melissa some love here!

60 Likes

Congratulations Melissa! Having a former participant & current voulenteer on The Board is well overdue, this is fantastic!

18 Likes

Congratulations @mizscience!!! I met Melissa a couple of summers ago and she is the real deal. Her insights and experience will be a huge asset for the FIRST Board of Directors, and I’m certain she’ll be a strong advocate for the community.

17 Likes

What fantastic news! Congratulations to her! Like Saikiran said, a former participant and active volunteer makes for a fantastic advocate, especially one with knowledge of how things are, and what they could be. I hope this becomes a win not only for her, but for the entire organization!

20 Likes

This is great news!

3 Likes

Congrats to Melissa, she was fantastic to judge with this year, albeit online!

3 Likes

Anyone who knows Melissa knows she is a huge asset to the FIRST community. Glad to see someone who represents the community so well as part of the board of directors.

5 Likes

Congrats to Melissa and this, I think, is great news for FIRST as a whole. Having an alum and current volunteer to voice concerns about is really happening on the fields is important.

And I’ll echo all of the other comments in this thread - volunteering with Melissa is a treat and I’m glad to have that experience!

2 Likes

Awesome to hear about this direction. Thank you and congratulations to Melissa.

Don’t want to derail, but as an aside: It should also be noted that Don Bossi, past FIRST president has also been elected to the board.

3 Likes

As a Alum and volunteer myself I am incredibly happy with the news! I think she will be able to give a unique perspective in some topics!
Also her LinkdIn is impressive! A lot of experience coming to the table in a variety of fields :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t remember when I first met Melissa but it has been a while. For those of you who have ever met her you know that she is totally invested in helping students and the future of FIRST. At a time when organizations desperately need knowledgeable leadership from someone who truly cares, we are getting one of the best. I am looking forward to the FIRST organization continuing to provide for students with Melissa’s help. I would be honored to help if she needs my assistance. Congrats Mellisa!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.