Connecting 775 Motors

The tabs on 775 Motors and other motors with similar connection systems can wear bend and break over time, so I thought I would ask how other teams keep their 775 Motors in good, working condition.

What does your team do with these motors?

Some possible solutions I have recently discovered:
775 Inline Powerpole Connector from OzzyBoards
775 Connect from VEXpro

We’ve been testing out 3d printing parts to keep the tabs good.
Link: 775 pro shield

1 Like

+1 it is on thingiverse
We solder are wires to the motor and then use that cap
They do wear out from stress over time

1 Like

The 775 connects are solid. You can buy motors with them pre-installed by Vex so if you’re worried about damaging the motor during installation that’s a good option. They can also be clocked in 45° intervals in case there’s interference around the motor.

3D printed caps are good for aesthetics if that matters to you but they don’t really do a lot to actually protect anything in my experience. The ones we used just clamped around the outside of the back of the casing with a zip-tie. I imagine a different design would be stronger but I can’t say by how much.

One important thing I’ve found that many teams forget about is strain relief on the wires coming out of the motors. If the wire can’t wiggle, your tabs won’t fatigue. I highly recommend securing the wires either by ziptie-ing them to the motor can, or attaching them firmly to another part of the robot that doesn’t move relative to the motor. That way any motion in the wires stops at the attachment point and doesn’t cause the motor tabs to wear and break.

2 Likes

We currently solder directly to the tabs, and then coat with a layer of hot melt (or basically industrial hot glue). It provides insulation and adds a little strain relief.

We did however test on a broken motor how much moving back and forth it takes to break a tab on a 775, and its surprisingly how long it actually takes. They arent easy to break.

1293 uses automotive-style connectors on the tabs, then use a PVC elbow on the back of the can to protect the terminals. (I want to say it’s 1.5" pipe, but take one with you and it’ll be obvious which one slips on.) We didn’t add any strain relief to the wire, but it would be trivial to drill a hole and zip-tie.

I highly recommend the 775 connect. My team got some when they first version came out from TheRobotSpace and I’ll never connect a 775 any other way again. The newer version by VexPro is also easier to install than the original and looks great too.

At this point, I just wish they made a version for 550 motors, it might actually give me a reason to use them.

Does anyone know if there are XT60 versions of the ones already listed? We use XT60s and want to stick to them

https://refiresolutions.com/refire-quick-connect-with-xt60/

We ordered a few of these to test out. Haven’t had a chance to run them on a real robot though.

Wow that’s exactly what I was looking for. Had no idea anyone made these.

Now if only they had an encoder…

Ill still get them and use them

We ran one of those on our elevator motor this year and it worked great. No complaints and nice and clean install.

1 Like

+1 In favor of the 775 connect. There were essential in our ability to quickly swap motors when our arm’s shoulder/wrist motors would burn up due to stalling (this happened a lot before we switched to the smaller, lighter Intake V7 at Champs).

You can have spare motors with 775 connects pre-installed to the correct clocking so you can swap the motor by just changing screws, no need to be soldering wires in hard to reach locations on the robot (ex inside the elevator carriage!).

Is this company new? Never heard of them before and it looks like their two different motor connectors are the only products they currently make. Still, neat that the design accommodates both 775 and 550 profile motors. Might be worth checking out.

My team also uses the 775 Connect sold at The Robot Space
We were involved in the testing of this product in the beginning of 2018 and they are now on every 775 in our possession. Also, we found that putting a zip tie around the Anderson connectors helps insure they don’t come apart. Highly recommend!

1 Like