Connection between a Mac and the roboRIO

Hi everyone,

I am unable to ping the roboRIO (address roboRIO-1868-FRC.local) from my Mac, though I can ping the radio (address 10.18.68.1).
I get the following error:

ping: cannot resolve roboRIO-1868-FRC.local: Unknown host

Another person with a Mac on my team can connect and I have compared all of my network and firewall setting. They are the same. I have also tried turning my WiFi on and off and power cycling.

Also, on the suggestion of multiple StackOverflow threads, I ran the following code in the terminal:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

If anyone has other ideas for how to fix the issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

I think there is a command to flush the DNS cache on MAC. give that a try.

As a hack, you could get the IP address from the web interface of the radio and put that in your host file. Make sure it pings first. As soon as it changes, though, you will have to look it up and edit again. While this just works around the problem, at least you can go on and develop code.

We are considering switching to static IP addresses for this reason.

Just for kicks, trying pinging “roboRIO-1868-FRC” (aka without the .local). For some reason I’ve had this work at times.