Consolidated Rules are Coming...

From the jive.ilearning site:

A full set of final, consolidated, revised and updated Rules will be published as a Team Update before “Ship Date”.

Hurray!

Joe J.

P.S. Wouldn’t it be nice if they published a “beta” copy before they put out the “Final” release. This would allow us all preview it for consistency and clarity as well as for fidelity to the prior updates and jive.ilearning messages. I think this would be a lot less work for FIRST in the long run.

This is good and very helpful.

They should’ve done this consistently through the last weeks.

Thank you FIRST…

I was really sick of cutting and pasting
the updates into MS-Word.
:smiley:

*Originally posted by Joe Johnson *
**P.S. Wouldn’t it be nice if they published a “beta” copy before they put out the “Final” release. This would allow us all preview it for consistency and clarity as well as for fidelity to the prior updates and jive.ilearning messages. I think this would be a lot less work for FIRST in the long run. **
On that note, has anyone mentioned on these forums, in a thread I may have overlooked the idea of bringing up this problem at the next team forum? Perhaps the best way to avoid these ambiguous, and inconsistent updates is to put together a team of veteran FIRSTers, each with an expertise in a specific area of an update, to serve as “editors” of sorts to a pre-release of a team update. FIRST could also release a “‘beta’ copy,” as Joe J said, of the Update, and allow 1-2 days for arguments against/for changes outlined in the update. Of course, it would be totally FIRST’s decision if a change to the beta copy of the team update would be made, but on paper it sounds as though it would work out nicely. BTW: we aren’t all English majors here ;).

*Originally posted by Joel J. *
**Perhaps the best way to avoid these ambiguous, and inconsistent updates is to put together a team of veteran FIRSTers, each with an expertise in a specific area of an update, to serve as “editors” of sorts to a pre-release of a team update. FIRST could also release a “‘beta’ copy,” as Joe J said, of the Update, and allow 1-2 days for arguments against/for changes outlined in the update. **

I think this is an excellent idea, Joel. You may have read some of my ranting about the issue of rules that are unclear, ambiguous, and changed at the last minute (remember the change in the # of pneumatic cylinders allowed halfway into the buildtime last year?) As I have said before, this is not a trivial matter. The failure to provide clear, reasonable rules and not change them, in my opinion, a threat to the future of FIRST. It is extremely aggravating for a coach who puts his/her life on hold and puts in hundreds of hours to have to deal with this sort of thing. The issue here is clear, responsible communication, which I believe is at the core of “Gracious Professionalism.” I think that the idea of “beta testing” the rules with FIRST veterans is similar to submitting a manuscript to the review board of a journal.

Now they can round out the team updates :smiley:

I’m going to have to read that one over VERY well.