Control and Power Distribution for 775 Pros in a non-FRC application

Sorry to disrupt the comotion of build season but for my capstone design project we are building a robot that will be driven by 2 775 pros. There will be another smaller motor and a servo but I’m moslty concerned with the power draw of the 2 775 pros. We are planning to control everything with an arduino but are struggling with sizing a speed controller and wires for power distribution for the motor. The robot will be 60 pounds fully loaded and we plan on getting 2 81:1 versaplanetaries.

Many (all?) FRC motor controllers are controllable over PWM. A Spark MAX would work well in this application, assuming you aren’t looking for a non-FRC budget motor controller.

Some other FRC options that you might have lying around as old stock:

• Talon SRX
  • Talon SR
  • Victor SPX
  • Victor SP
  • Spark
  • Victor 888
  • Victor 884

Etc

I don’t have anything laying around, I was looking at a Victor SPX since they’re only $50 but I would be fine with a non-FRC controller.

Gonna give you a name, but you’ll need to do the sizing:

Roboclaw. See if they’ve got a 2x40+ available.

Ask a local veteran team. I bet they’ve got some lying around they’d be willing to give away. We’ve thrown tons out and still have a bin of 30 of them sitting unused.

Answering my own question:

I will say that it’s expensive compared to most FRC speed controllers. That said, it has two things going for it:

1. You only need one, because it’s dual-channel.
  2. It integrates with an Arduino pretty easily. This MechE has been able to do it on a few occasions–and actually get the right motor working.
1 Like

Gotcha. To help break down design criteria a bit, what you’re looking for is a motor controller which can:

1. Handle the range of current draws you expect, given gearings and loads
  2. is relatively cost-effective
  3. Runs on a 12v-nominal system.
  4. Accepts a control input which can be easily generated by an arduino.

When selecting between options Vex’s motor resources might be useful - given you know what the motors are hooked up to, you can determine their operating range which, in turn, picks the set of current/power draws you have to support in your application.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.