Since many events around the world are being canceled (South by south west etc…) are being canceled due to the Corona Virus, would there be any possibility that FIRST events would be canceled/postponed because of the worldwide attendance that each event brings in?
Although I am aware of this being extremely difficult to change all of the venues and such, it might be a needed hardship to prevent spread of the virus.
Does anybody have any comments on this?
There are several other identical active threads discussing this topic. I will merge this shortly.
To establish ethos: I’m a senior in high school. I’ll never get to compete in FIRST ever again - though maybe I’ll be a mentor or volunteer several years from now. I’ve worked very hard on this year’s robot, and I believe that this year, we’ve built our best robot in my four years of competition. My elderly family members do not live in the country. None of my immediate family has a compromised immune system.
But to continue to hold events of more than 1000 people is irresponsible. This goes fo…
I’m sure many of you have been following the world-wide news about the new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV.
Based on travel advisories and information from local partners – and with the safety of our community top priority – we are postponing the FIRST Robotics Competition events that had been scheduled in Beijing, China for March until after FIRST Championship. This is unfortunate but necessary given the impact of the virus on local and regional activities. We have reached out directly to currentl…
Update (March 10): This list of events is unofficial. Please consult
FIRST’s official COVID-19 event status page for official information.
I’ve noticed that there have been many recent threads created to discuss the ongoing coronavirus outbreak and its effect on FRC competitions. Below is all the official information I’ve gathered (in descending order of event dates). Please feel free to add additional events once an official source has confirmed it has been postponed, cancelled or otherwise no…
My team was fortunate enough to qualify for Champs last weekend. The $5,000 is due in 2 days.
The refund policy is “FIRST is not responsible for any Event cancelations or the inability of a team to travel due to weather, threat of terrorism, Act of God and other events beyond the control of FIRST.”
Are other teams concerned about this? From my reading this means they could keep our registration money if the event gets canceled because it is out of their control. I think everyone agrees there is…